Safari just quit under OSX 10.10.5.

Reaction score
It worked fine yesterday. The only change was an update to iTunes. Anyone else have this problem?

Reaction score
When you say "just quit", does that mean you cannot launch it at all? Also, are you able to use another browser (if you are using your "affected" Mac to post here, that actually answers the question)? If so, which browser?

From a search I just did, it looks like the latest version of Safari compatible with OS 10.10.5 is V10.1.2, but not sure how/where you can get it. Do you happen to have a backup, and if so, one that was made before you updated iTunes?

Reaction score
When you say "just quit", does that mean you cannot launch it at all? Also, are you able to use another browser (if you are using your "affected" Mac to post here, that actually answers the question)? If so, which browser?

From a search I just did, it looks like the latest version of Safari compatible with OS 10.10.5 is V10.1.2, but not sure how/where you can get it. Do you happen to have a backup, and if so, one that was made before you updated iTunes?

It worked fine yesterday. The only change was an update to iTunes. Anyone else have this problem?

Reaction score
My safari also just stopped working at about the same time yours did Sandy73. A large panel comes up saying there is something wrong with Safari and it may need to be reloaded but gives no instructions on how to do this. i am also on 10.10.5. Will not launch at all but was working fine. Have not upgraded or downloaded anything yesterday.

Reaction score
I have just discovered that iTunes also sneaked an auto update on my laptap last night at about the time Safari crashed. This must be happeneing to everyone?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, this is a "known" issue caused by the latest iTunes update. The best course of action currently is to use another browser like Google Chrome until Apple fixes it...hopefully they do, since Yosemite is no longer actively supported.

The other option is to upgrade to a newer version of OS X, if your hardware supports it.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, this is a "known" issue caused by the latest iTunes update. The best course of action currently is to use another browser like Google Chrome until Apple fixes it...hopefully they do, since Yosemite is no longer actively supported.

The other option is to upgrade to a newer version of OS X, if your hardware supports it.

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cory - since I do not use itunes would it help to correct this on Safari if I just uninstalled itunes?

Reaction score
I believe it is just about impossible to uninstall a "core" Apple application (like Safari, iTunes, Spotlight, etc.). Even if you can, it can have other "problematic" effects.

Just out of curiosity, "how" did you upgrade iTunes? If you have your system set to "automatically" install updates, it might be wise to turn that off.

As I mentioned above, do you have a recent backup? If you do, and it was done before you upgraded iTunes, you should be able to do a recovery.

Regarding Cory's other suggestion about upgrading the Mac OS, if you can tell us the exact Mac model you have, we can help you with that. Even if you do that, though, it is still necessary to have backup on an external device. Additionally, it will also be necessary to let us know what third party (ie, non-Apple) software you use, as if you "move" to a newer Mac OS, it will be necessary to insure that all the third party software you use is compatible with that newer Mac OS. That might require doing some upgrades of some of that software.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it wouldn't correct the issue. The update replaced files in the WebKit, which is part of the system that all apps use to interact with the Internet.

The only options - wait for another Apple update to correct it, use Chrome or Firefox, or upgrade to a newer version of OS X.

C

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it wouldn't correct the issue. The update replaced files in the WebKit, which is part of the system that all apps use to interact with the Internet.

The only options - wait for another Apple update to correct it, use Chrome or Firefox, or upgrade to a newer version of OS X.

C

Looks like our posts "crossed" each other! Hopefully, the op will provide the information that I requested above.

Reaction score
One other thing, Montyzee: how are you making posts here? Are you using another browser, or another device?

Reaction score
just to keep you all in the loop - answers to various questions - I have a mid 2012 13' MacBook pro running Yosemite 10.10.5. I backup to two external hard drives which are stored in separate locations and also selectively archive to DVDs. I do a lot of (amateur) graphics work and store a lot of photos. The only software I use apart from Apple built-ins are Open Office, GIMP, and SketchUp. These I have found are easy to pull down off the web in their latest versions every time I have upgraded my machine in the past. I don't "do" music or movies or games, so i missed the point that iTunes was doing things sneakily in the background without my knowing. But I am on-line a lot doing academic research for which I also use Firefox and Chrome as browsers and they are fine. Had a total crash last year and with long hours of on-line chat Apple guidance tried to update to Sierra - multiple times. The machine repeatedly refused to install it. I had to reinstall Yosemite 10.10.5 fresh and restored all my data from the external hard drives. So updating to another version of OS x does not seem to be viable here. Nor is installing a newer version of Safari.

Thanks for all your help guys but I am just going to forget about Safari, have imported all my Safari bookmarks into both Chrome and Firefox and I am going with them.

Come the new year I shall probably invest in a new MacBook pro anyway.

best wishes
Monty

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. According to this site:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...re-i5-2.5-13-mid-2012-unibody-usb3-specs.html

here is what it says about versions of the Mac ODS your machine can run:

"This system fully supports the last version of OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion." OS X 10.9 "Mavericks", and OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" as well as OS X 10.11 "El Capitan" with the exception of the "Power Nap" feature. It is capable of running macOS Sierra (10.12) as well, although it does not support the Auto Unlock feature. This model is capable of running macOS High Sierra (10.13), and it supports HEVC (High-Efficiency Video Coding), but it does not support hardware accelerated HEVC."

So, it looks like Yosemite was the last Mac OS your machine can run without any non-supported features. Not sure how important/critical any of those are, but thought you'd like to know.

When you did try and install Sierra, was it a clean, fresh installation?

Reaction score
No - as i said in my reply above - Sierra failed to install at all several times even though it was clean fresh download straight from Apple store - after which I ( and the Apple on-line chat help) gave up and I reinstalled Yosemite and all my data with no problems thereafter for over a year.
I'm probably just going to go get a new machine.

Reaction score
You actually never said it was a clean installation. You did say "Had a total crash last year and with long hours of on-line chat Apple guidance tried to update to Sierra - multiple times". So, I guess I could have inferred that you did try a clean installation.

So, maybe getting a newer machine would be best.

Reaction score
Wow - Safari just sprang back into life again after being down for 6 days. ! I happened to glance at the dock and the little dot was showing so I tried it and after a lot of coloured-ball spinning it opened - sticky at first - but operating normally now.

Reaction score
Weird! Not sure why all of a sudden it worked, but hopefully it will remain that way. Never had any issues with Google Chrome (or Firefox, which I used to use exclusively).

Ask a Question