update to 10.11.5 now cant use safari at all it keeps quitting?

Reaction score
I updated Safari the other day on my Mac book Pro, I am doing this now on my very old system
on my i-Mac, thank God. I cant reset anything on the Lap top at all it wont let me as soon as click on Safari it quits. So dont suggest going to pref etc. So what will happen if I delete the safari?
Will I lose everything ? I have firefox, but prefer Safari.
I am able to see what to do on the i-mac but need to follow the advice on the laptop.
impossible to open it. error signs I dont know how many reports I have sent to Apple

Thank you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

-Which version of Safari in your Applications folder?
-Did you drag Safari out of the Application folder by chance? If so, it won't get updated properly.

You could try deleting Safari (you will only lose the app itself) and downloading/Installing OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 Combo Update. That should put Safari back in place and correct the issue.

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cory after three hours of trying I gave up, then it was back It was the 9.1.1 version
maybe I should upgrade it eh.....I will make a note tho of what you said. I shall maybe use firefox more as I do seem to have some probs with Safari.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
The latest version is 9.1.1 (11601.6.17), which was part released as part of OS X El Capitan 10.11.5.

The reports you send to Apple will never be replied to...the developers use them to prepare bug fix releases.

-What were you trying for three hours?
-What version of OS X is on the Mac that will not open Safari?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory. I have an old I-mac upstairs. and I am elderly so you asked what took 3 hrs, well part of it was me up and down stairs.. my laptop is running Safari 9.1.1 and is El Capitan.
It was the laptop that had the problem!
My old I-mac was ok, so I know it was the upgrade on the laptop that did it. I just spent time researching and trying to find out who else had the same prob.and there was lots and lots.
I know now to use Firefox if it happens again.
Seems ok now. So thank you for following up on this. I have been told I cant upgrade my old faithfull
I - Mac, which is a shame, the Safari on that is 5 6.8 and the machine is 10.5.8
When I get rich I will get a new I-Mac
Monto

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

If it is working now, great. If not, let us know and we'll resume where we left off.

C

Ask a Question