Safari Question

D

dick

Greetings,

Safari saves web addresses that one has typed into the browser. As one types an address into the browser, Safari suggests begins to suggest an adress using auto complete. Is there a way to remove these addresses after they are saved? Better yet, is there a way to turn off Safari's ability to save these addresses?

dick

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

I don't believe there is any way to turn that feature off within Safari itself. It gets that info from the Bookmarks, History, and Cache.

You can type a space before the URL and the auto-complete won't fill anything in.

C

Reaction score
I believe "Private Browsing" turns off the saving of adresses, but that's only temporary of course, and turs off a load of other things as well.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there dick,

here's the best plan I can come up with...

To stop the auto complete you are going to need to 'reset' Safari and then we can replace a couple of files...you will also have to lose your Bookmarks, this is the only way that I can see of doing it.

1) Safari Menu "Reset Safari"

2) Go to this folder... Users-->YourUserName-->Library-->Safari

In there, there is a 'Bookmark.plist' and 'History.plist' file...

3) Delete both of these.

4) Now open TextEdit and create a new blank document, then go to the Format menu and select 'Make Plain Text'.

5) Do a save as and name it "Bookmark.plist", save it into the folder from before.

6) Do a save as and name it "History.plist", save it into the folder from before.

7) Quit TextEdit.

8) Now go to the folder and select "Bookmark.plist" and do command + i on it...

9) In the info window scroll down to the 'Ownership & Permissions' pane.

10) Expand the triangle, and the 'details' triangle...

11) Change each one to 'No Access'

12) Close the get info pane.

13) Repeat 8-12 on the file "History.plist"

14) Now open Safari - no auto complete !!!!

These seems to work on my Mac, give it a go.

If you get any Software updates though, or run a repair permissions in Disk Utility you will have to repeat this procedure...

Let me know if you're not sure of anything.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question