Safari comes up without asking.

Reaction score
How do I prevent Safari from opening when I turn on my computer?

I have S X 10.11.6

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian
(e-mail address removed)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Click on Safari in your Dock & hold down on the mouse ... when the menu springs up scroll to "Options" & see if "Open at login" is selected ...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Try unchecking the box that says "Reopen windows when logging back in" when you shit down or restart.

C

Reaction score
I have OS X 10.11.6

Where is this menu option?

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian
(e-mail address removed)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
When you select  > Finder > Restart.. Shutdown... or Log Out... a dialog box will popup where you can uncheck box next to the aforementioned option.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...

If Spawn_Dooley's suggestion didn't correct the issue, and my suggestions didn't either, then there are only two other things it could be:

1.  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups > Your User > Login Items - remove Safari if it is listed.
2.  > System Preferences... > General > uncheck Close windows when quitting an app

If those don't fix it, let us know.

C

Reaction score
i have unchecked and rechecked Close windows when quitting an app and it does not matter. When I open Firefox and look at Force Quit, Safari is among the programs choices to force quit and I do. Safari has not visibly opened in a while, but it is in the list when I select Force Quit.

Could this be a Firefox problem? I just updated it.

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian
(e-mail address removed)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

No it shouldn't have anything to do with Firefox, unless you have some strange bookmark/favorite that opens in Safari instead of a new Firefox tab/window. It seems that Safari is still automatically opening at login for some reason.

Next thing to try would be to create another user on the Mac, login to it, and see if Safari auto-opens.

C

Reaction score
I created a new user and got the same results. I have OS X 10.11.6 and I got it recently. Could it be a bug?

The new user comes up with Safari active and in the Force Quit list.

I noticed that I cannot delete Safari because it is now claimed to be essential to the operating system. I think that is new.

Jim Adrian
(e-mail address removed)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, since it happens on a test user, then it is a system-wide issue. I do believe that Apple may have changed the ability to delete standard applications.

-Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data?
-You could try to download and install the 10.11.6 Combo Update over the top of your current installation. Sometimes that will correct issues.
-If that doesn't correct the issue, then the next step would be to perform a complete erase and install of the hard drive and OS X. You would lose any data that you do not have backed up.

C

Reaction score
Cory Cooper,

I installed OS X 10.12.1 (it was 10.11.6) and it insists on opening Safari without displaying it. It has an up arrow under the icon in the dock. I ways go to force quit to get rid of it. When I shut down the computer, it always shows the Safari menu on the top of a black screen for a couple of seconds before it completely shuts down.

What do you think of that?

Jim Adrian
(e-mail address removed)

Ask a Question