Safari & certificates

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a provider of certain services for the household which issues monthly invoices. Theoretically the invoices can be downloaded from their website as .pdf.
My problem is, that they officially only support windows software, although they mention, that other browsers might also function if the following criteria are met:
• cookies enabled
• Java enabled
• if a firewall is active, certain certificates (downloadable from a given website) must be installed and port 443 enabled.
The first 2 criteria are met in my Safari. The problem is the 3rd criteria.
I don't know, where to install those downloaded certificates, and how to enable port 443.
Because of this for now I can't download my invoices.
Help from the provider himself is hopeless, they are a monopoly. There is no phone support, just in writing, takes 2 weeks minimum to get a general answer, not Mac specific. They couldn't bother.
Can any body help?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Click on Go in the Finder menu and the click on Utilities.

In the window that opens look for Keychain Access.app. This is where your Certificates are stored.

When the Keychain Access window opens, look for the Keychain Access menu at the top. Click on "File" and then click "Import Items".

Browse to the .p12 or .pfx certificate file on your computer (if you have already downloaded the Certificate from the website (there should be a download link) then the file will be on your Desktop or in your Downloads folder.). When you have highlighted it, select the Destination Keychain from the drop down list and then click on the "Open" button. A new window will appear asking for the password for the certificate to be entered. Type in the password and then press OK.

When you put in the correct password, you will see that your certificate has been successfully installed along with the private key, the Intermediate Certificate and the Root Certificate.

This is regarding Port 443:

Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is a combination of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol with the SSL/TLS protocol to provide encryption and secure (website security testing) identification of the server. *It uses port 443*. HTTPS connections are often used for payment transactions on the World Wide Web and for sensitive transactions in corporate information systems. HTTPS should not be confused with Secure HTTP (S-HTTP) specified in RFC 2660.

This port is likely already open as it is a commonly used port.

Reaction score
Hi Spawn,
thanks for your detailed instructions, which I followed to the letter. In spite of all this, downloads from that particular provider's website don't work. I have tried it with Firefox as well - which they mention as supported - to no avail.
Unfortunately I can't switch the provider, he is a monopoly.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Is there an accompanying error message when you try to download from their webpage?

Reaction score
No, nothing. If I click on their download icon just nothing happens.
In their written explanation I got they specifically mention port 443 which should be open if I have an active firewall.
Since I don't know how to enable just port 443 and at the same time not deactivate the firewall, I am stuck (if this port thing is the cause of the problem).

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Since I don't know how to enable just port 443

Do you use online banking or purchase from iTunes, Amazon, eBay or the like?

Also, you can see the website's certificatein Keychain Access.app?

Have you tried resetting Safari? Safari ~> Reset

Reaction score
I do online banking, do purchases from eBay via PayPal, seldom from Apple Store
I can see the certificates in the Keychain Access
What exactly is resetting Safari? Within Safari I haven't found a Reset command. However, I regularly empty the cookies, the cache and normally browse in Private Windows, so nothing accumulates there.
By the way, this provider states that he supports, next to Windows, also the browser Firefox.
I have tried that one as well with the same results. Very frustrating!

Ask a Question