Safari became unavailable

Reaction score
I have a 7 year old iMac, still on Mountain Lion. Yesterday I tried to down load a map, seemed to get an App instead "doctopdf.pronto". I was able to access and print the map, but when I tried safari again, I got "503 service unavailable". Any further enquiries seemed to go to Bing. Also in address line, in grey print, was something called "search Tokyo falcon . com". (I added the spaces). Now afraid to use computer in case of possible virus, so am on iPad. My broadband helpline could not help. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Need some more information, plus a suggestion:

1. Are you making backups to an external device? If you are, and you did that before this issue arose, that would be ideal.

2. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?

Now, you can download, install, and run the excellent freeware program Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, available from here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

I (and a number of folks here) have used it with success.

One more question/suggestion: does this happen with Safari only? Have you tried another browser?

Last edited:

Ask a Question