"Router Manager" and "Intercheck" using lots of CPU time

Reaction score
I'm having intermittent issues with two processes, "Router Manager" and "Intercheck." One or the other will pop up from time to time and run for a long time, using about 90% CPU time while they do. They can really slow down my computer, and they cut my battery life to a third of normal! I've been able to shut them down, but I'd like to know if they're safe to shut down, not to mention why they're running in the first place.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hi,

Cant answer (no1), but high CPU utilization on an interrupt level is primarily caused by packets handled on interrupt level. Interrupts are generated any time a character is output from the console or auxiliary ports of a router.

But regarding (2) have you boot camped your Mac?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I don't interact with windows computers so I don't bother with such protection albeit with others in mind. And I'm anal enough to not even press the fart button on websites!

Reaction score
Supporting 2000+ Macs for over 12 years, number of Mac malware incidents = 0.
Number of problems caused by Users installing antiVirus +100.

Most of those thought they had a Virus AFTER installing the antiVirus, nope they had antiVirus.

Reaction score
So... any reason I shouldn't shut down Intercheck every time it starts chewing up CPU cycles? Any reason I shouldn't uninstall Sophos, for that matter?

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
FYI, Intercheck is associated with Sophos Antivirus.

Intercheck maxes out my CPU

Yeh that's why I asked about boot camp, never understood putting an AV on Mac a system. One of the many reasons I moved to Apple all those years ago.

Uninstall Uninstall.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Any reason I shouldn't uninstall Sophos

Folk only go down that path because they are concerned that something they download on their Mac might have something nasty that while it is harmless to their Mac, if transferred to their Windows computer might cause issues but if you don't have a Windows partition or move stuff constantly between your Mac ~> Windows then you don't need it.

Reaction score
And just for info as of Snow Leopard onwards you have the Apple built in AV called Xprotect.

Ask a Question