My mac can't see the router without help

Reaction score
My laptop is well within range of my wireless router — sometimes almost on top of it. But it never logs on automatically although I have set my system preferences for it to do so. After waking up the computer I always, ALWAYS have to select the network and enter the password.

In system preferences I have added the name of the network and checked “Always join this network." To no avail. What do I have to do?

Reaction score
What exact Mac models do you have? If your laptop is the only machine you have, what happens when you connect the router directly to the Mac?

Also, what exact Mac OS are you running?

Reaction score
What exact Mac models do you have? If your laptop is the only machine you have, what happens when you connect the router directly to the Mac?

Also, what exact Mac OS are you running?

The problem is with a MacBook Pro running OS 10.13.4. And it is a problem both at home -- where my ancient desktop wirelessly connects without any problem -- and in my vacation home where, I think, it worked fine last summer. I have not connected the router directly to the mac because it's a lot easier to just find the network and type in the password than it is to string up cables. But I shouldn't have to do either.

Reaction score
First, Apple released OS 10.13.5 last Friday. You can get the OS 10.13.5 Combo Updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1965?locale=en_US

Secondly, how exactly is the router connected at home? And do you take the router with you to your vacation home?

Thanks for the update info. I do not take the router with me. At home the router is connected by cable to the modem supplied by my internet service provider. On vacation the modem and router are one unit provided by the ISP

Reaction score
The router and/or the modem still need to be connected to a computer. At home, how is that done? And do you connect it at your vacation spot?

Myself, I have a late 2012 Mac Mini at home, and the Netgear modem I have is connected to the Mini. Also, the Netgear router I have is connected to the modem. Thus, my mid 2017 13" MacBook Air can be on line, via my WiFi setup, and of course for that, a modem and a router are needed.

When I am on the road, and either at a hotel/motel or at someone's residence, they have a modem and a router, and as long as I get the Wifi password, I can connect to it with my MacBook Air.

Reaction score
Is that device just a router, or a "modem/router" combo unit? Given that I have never used a wireless router and/or modem, not sure what could be the issue.

Reaction score
As I said, at home it is a separate modem and wireless router. On vacation it is a combo unit. But please see above: The issue HAS to be something in my computer setup. Even though I have named the network and entered the password in the network part of my system preferences I still have to log in all over again whenever I wake up my laptop.

Ask a Question