imac - partition lost / can't use

Kev

Reaction score
I've have a 3tb fusion drive on imac that I had partitioned as a 2.45tb drive and a ~500gb other partition, when I was formatting the larger one the computer froze and I had to force shut down. That 2.45 drive is now not showing up at all. I've tried fresh installs, ran recovery mode and tried to format it from Disk utility there but no luck. I've put some screenshots there and I'd really appreciate any help at all!

Attachments

• disk utility 1.png
    disk utility 1.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 349
  • disk utility 2.png
    disk utility 2.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 347
  • disk utility 3.png
    disk utility 3.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 315
  • list disk.png
    list disk.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 343

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model iMac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Do you have a Time Machine or other backup of the data on that drive?

C

Kev

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me!
It's a 27inch iMac late 2012
Currently on osx 10.12.6

I don't need any of the data on it, have it backed up in the cloud

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

It looks like you are started up from a standard partition, and not the recovery partition - because of the name Kevin's-iMac:~ kevincorry. Try starting up from the Recovery Partition, then run Disk Utility and see if the rest of the 3 TB shows up.

If you really don't need ANY of the data on the entire drive, you can follow the steps here: How can I delete a partition (coreStorage logical volume?) from the Terminal? That should allow you to reset the partitions and format it with the full 3 TB.

C

Ask a Question