Partitioning iMac to install Windows without ISO

Gen

Reaction score
I am running my iMac on Yosemite and am trying to partition it to use windows. I have an ISO image of Windows 8.1 on a USB. I used bootcamp on my laptop to create in install disk using this USB. However, it seems that my iMac doesn't support using ISOs to install Windows (it is a few years old) so I am unsure how to partition it and download windows? When I try to use bootcamp, it begins the first steps of downloading the latest support software and installing windows however when they are complete an error message comes up saying "The installer disk could no be found. Insert your Windows installer disc and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognized.". Thank you for any help, I am at my wits end with this!

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help you, as I have no experience with what you are trying to do:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203909

About halfway down in that article, it states:

"Note: This flash drive needs to be formatted for the FAT32 file system and must use the Master Boot Record partitioning scheme. Use Disk Utility to check the format of the flash drive before proceeding, and partition or erase the flash drive if necessary."

Was your USB Flash Drive formatted that way? If not, that could be the issue.

Ask a Question