partitioning my hard drive in order to install Windows

Reaction score
I recently discovered this thing called Boot Camp Assistant which is supposed to let me create a partition and install Windows on my Mac, which, by the way, is a 3 year old, 80 GB MacBook with Leopard 10.5.6.

So I tried to run the Boot Camp to create a partition on which to install Windows, but Boot Camp returned an error message saying:

"Unable to partition your hard drive because some files cannot be moved. Back up your disk. Use the disk utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume. Then restore information to the disk and try using the Boot Camp assistant again."

I don't understand why it won't let me partition my disk. What does it mean "some files cannot be moved"?

In any case, I backed up all my data on my external hard drive and went to disk utility to try to follow the error message's directions, but I'm not sure how exactly I format (or should I say re-format) my hard drive? I see options for erase, partition, and restore, but not format. I am guessing I probably need to erase it and then restore it from scratch? But disk utility won't let me erase my hard drive. Everything's "greyed out" and unclickable.

Reaction score
I recently discovered this thing called Boot Camp Assistant which is supposed to let me create a partition and install Windows on my Mac, which, by the way, is a 3 year old, 80 GB MacBook with Leopard 10.5.6.

So I tried to run the Boot Camp to create a partition on which to install Windows, but Boot Camp returned an error message saying:

"Unable to partition your hard drive because some files cannot be moved. Back up your disk. Use the disk utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume. Then restore information to the disk and try using the Boot Camp assistant again."

I don't understand why it won't let me partition my disk. What does it mean "some files cannot be moved"?

In any case, I backed up all my data on my external hard drive and went to disk utility to try to follow the error message's directions, but I'm not sure how exactly I format (or should I say re-format) my hard drive? I see options for erase, partition, and restore, but not format. I am guessing I probably need to erase it and then restore it from scratch? But disk utility won't let me erase my hard drive. Everything's "greyed out" and unclickable.

i have exactly the same problem with my mac :'(

Ask a Question