iMac is confusing the Volume for a partition?

Reaction score
I've been trying to re-image this iMac and in during the process the volume was deleted and renamed... but now instead of the machine just giving access to the volume. It actually thinks the Volume is the partition. Every disk utility tool has been used to help resolve this issue. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
First, what Mac OS are you using?

Second, what do you mean by "re-image"? Typically that means erasing, formatting, and if necessary, partitioning the drive.

Third, did you make a backup before doing the re-imaging? That is crucial.

Reaction score
1. osx El Capiton

2. yes, you are correct. I actually work in IT office for a University. These are new machines. We were putting a complete new image on the hard drive while using disk utility. I deleted macintosh HD to wipe it clean for the new image. but now, the machine just thinks the partiton is the volume. with no volume available above it... so I have no place to put the osx.

3.There was no crucial data to back up, since it was a new machine just being imaged.

I've searched forums... but cant figure out how to make this machine go back to its original settings the way it came out of the box.

Reaction score
I'm assuming you used Disk Utility externally to try and accomplish what you are after. What I suspect would help is if you use Disk Utility to Erase, Format, and if necessary, Partition the drive to be re-imaged at the Volume (ie, top) level. When you do that, you are offered the opportunity to name the volume what you want. And of course, if you partition it, you can name each partition how you want. Once you are done with that, you should be able to do a clean, "virgin" installation of El Capitan (latest version of 10.11.6) either on the Volume (if you only have one partition), or on the partition you choose.

By the way, how are you "physically" trying to do this? The ideal way would be for each iMac to be connected to the "controlling" machine, and the iMac is booted in Target Disk Mode.

I have actually done something similar whenever a new Mac OS comes out. What I do first is to make a SuperDuper! bootable backup of my system to an external drive. Next, I boot from that backup. Then, I use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format the internal drive (SSD in my case) on the machine. I can then install the new OS, and then use Migration Assistant to "migrate/copy" all the needed "stuff" from that SuperDuper! backup (of course, I insure that the 5 critical applications I use are compatible with the new OS before doing all this). Finally, I just re-boot my machine.

While your situation is not the same, it is similar, in that the iMac needs to be booted in Target Disk Mode.

Reaction score
Correct. I was using a external drive to upload this image. While being on the Disk utility I erased the top volume to erase it and to rename it. But after, it never came back. Just the partition below it remains. No matter how I try to prepare the drive the install wont work. It just stays grayed out on top.

But, I'll try to boot it in target disk mode and see what I can do from there.

Reaction score
When you say "I was using a external drive to upload this image", it's not clear what that means. In fact, what do you mean by "upload this image"? To accomplish what you need done, there needs to be a bootable "system" on the external drive. As I mentioned above, either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner will create a bootable backup/clone of your "system". It's not enough to just have Disk Utility on that external device. (I'm not even sure that would work).

Again, with the iMac connected to the "controlling" machine (via Firewire 800), after booting up that controlling machine, then boot the iMac in Target Disk Mode. What results is that the iMac's internal drive appears on the desktop of the "controlling" machine. You would then run Disk Utility from that machine to Erase and Format the iMac's drive. Next, via the "controlling" machine, launch the file "Install OS X El Capitan", and then install El Capitan on the iMac's drive (whether you rename the volume or not). You will then be offered the choice of whether or not you want to "migrate/copy" any other files/date, etc. from a device (typically, that would be from the "controlling" machine). If no, then just re-boot the iMac, and it should boot via whatever version of El Capitan you have. If you have any version of it "below" 10.11.6, you can upgrade to 10.11.6 by downloading and running the Combo Updater, which you can get from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1885?locale=en_US

Ask a Question