Do I need a router?

Reaction score
Hello!

I am single home user in one apartment with no other users, living apartment block house with over hundred apartments.
I have cable internet and one modem.

Mac firewall has "block all incoming connections" and "enable stealth mode" enabled.
All sharing services are disabled.

Do I need a router? All ports are disabled with these settings (I assume at least) so is router needed?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I have cable internet and one modem so is router needed?

If the modem you use was supplied to you by your Cable provider then it possibly is a combination of a Modem/Router ... the Modem handles the connection from your apartment to your Cable provider then to the greater internet while a Router handles the connection from the Modem to your apartments network ... if it's just you connected to your Modem and there are no connectivity issues then I don't think you need anything else.

Reaction score
If the modem you use was supplied to you by your Cable provider then it possibly is a combination of a Modem/Router ... the Modem handles the connection from your apartment to your Cable provider then to the greater internet while a Router handles the connection from the Modem to your apartments network ... if it's just you connected to your Modem and there are no connectivity issues then I don't think you need anything else.

It came from my cable internet provider, but it is just modem, no router in there.
So if it is just me, I have no need for router just for security?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What your CIP provided with is sufficient. If you are doubtful you could call your CIP tech support to have them walk you through all the relevant security configuration settings in the Modems Settings, just for peace of mind.

The modem will have an inbuilt Firewall along with the Mac's so you should be secure providing you are careful with your passwords & which websites you visit.

Never click on anything without thinking especially anything that claims your mac is infected & needs cleaning out!

Ask a Question