Constant DHCP to router every minute while sleeping on power

Reaction score
Why would my MBP be sending constant DHCP messages to my router every minute? It only does this when the lid is shut (in Sleep mode) and connected to power. When I disconnect power and when it is being used, the messages stop.

Here's an example from my Netgear R7300 log:

DHCP IP: (192.168.1.51)] to MAC address A8:BB:CF:10:5D:8C, Tuesday, Dec 20,2016 12:31:10

I have two other MBP's in the family on the same router, but others are not doing this?

What I've done so far:
* Set the MBP to always use the same IP with Reserved IP on the router
* Removed and forget the router, then reconnect
* Trashed Wifi settings from these instructions
* Added OpenDNS addresses to DNS setting
* Rebooted the MBP in Safe Mode to dump caches
* Rebooted the router and ensure it's on latest firmware
* Reset the Mac SMC
* Reset the PRAM

BTW, the MBP models are:

- mid 2012, Mavericks 10.9.5 (this is the offending one)
- early 2011, El Capitan, 10.11.6
- mid 2014, Yosemite, 10.10.4

At this point, I'm stumped why only this MBP is having this issue. Other than a clean wipe of the system, or upgrading to a later OSX, is there anything else I should try?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Are your Energy Saver settings the same on all MBPs for Wake for network access and Start up automatically after a power failure?
-That looks like the router trying to contact the MBP, not the other way around?
-Do you have access to any other Macs running Mavericks you could test with?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Are your Energy Saver settings the same on all MBPs for Wake for network access and Start up automatically after a power failure?
-That looks like the router trying to contact the MBP, not the other way around?
-Do you have access to any other Macs running Mavericks you could test with?

C

Energy setting only has Wake for Network, and it was checked like the other MBPs. Clicked off, but still happening.
Not sure where/why/how router would be contacting just that one MBP. I don't have anything in Port Forwarding or Services for any devices.
No access to others with Mav.

I'm now looking to see if an app is trying to reach out when Mac is in sleep mode, but not really sure how to do that.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If the Mac is indeed asleep. then no network communication would happen from it. Again, it looks like the router contacting the MBP, not the other way around.

Not sure why the router would be "contacting" that one particular Mac, but it is harmless, and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Do you happen to have any port forwarding enabled in the router, for Back to My Mac for instance?

C

Reaction score
No port forwarding or triggering, static routes, or VPN, at all on the netgear router. All services open. Had that Mac on any IP, then reserved IP with no change.

Saw another site to try in Safe Mode, and still same result.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...definitely a strange issue.

I will do a little more research and let you know if I find anything.

C

Ask a Question