Word for MAC 2011 Constant crash.

Reaction score
One of my end users keeps getting a crash each time word is opened. I have deleted plist files, and even just went down the route of fully reinstall Office for MAC 2011 and the same issue still occurs each time. Any ideas?

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS

Date/Time: 2014-09-16 10:34:37 +0000

Application Name: Microsoft Word

Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word

Application Signature: MSWD

Application Version: 14.4.3.140616

Crashed Module Name: QD

Crashed Module Version: unknown

Crashed Module Offset: 0x0005562c

Blame Module Name: WLMGraphicsDevice

Blame Module Version: 14.4.3.140616

Blame Module Offset: 0x00015871

Application LCID: 1033

Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

Crashed thread: 0

Reaction score
sadly Word will just do this, I'd recomend using TextEdit or Pages and saving the document as a Word document, both Apps will do this.

Or check the MicroSoft Forums, someone there may have a fix.

Reaction score
have you checked the Console Logs that may give you a clue. These types of problems are frightful.

Reaction score
Also, have you deleted the Microsoft User Data from the Users Folder? back it up first as it may have email.

Reaction score
Have you tried to rebuild the Office Database? Not sure if it will help, but here are the instructions for doing that:

1. Quit Outlook. Hold down the Option key and launch it again. Rather than Outlook's normal interface, you'll get the Microsoft Database Utility. Select your identity (most people normally have only the one) in the list and click Rebuild. When it's done, you'll have a new Main Identity and the one it worked from, which now has an appended name of [Backed up 2012....].

2. Quit the utility and go to the Documents folder of your user account. Then /Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities/ . Put the mail identity with [Backed up...] in its name in the trash. Before deleting it, launch Outlook again to make sure the rebuilt data is opened correctly. If so, empty the trash. Your deleted emails will now actually be removed from the hard drive.

3. If for some reason the rebuilt identity doesn't open (I've never had it happen), you can drag the new Main Identity folder to the trash and put the original back. Then remove the "backed up" part of the name so it just says Main Identity again. When Outlook is launched, it will use that one as if nothing had ever changed. All of the deleted emails you were trying to remove will be back with it, but you can at least try rebuilding it again instead of being stuck with a non working identity.

Then, one can try and launch Word and see what happens.

Good luck!

Ask a Question