Can't change the name my computer gives to my router.

Reaction score
Hello, sorry if I make some mistakes English is not my language.

My computer is the lastest MacBook Pro, with macOS Sierra 10.12.1.

So my problem is that after I downloaded vuze, it changed few things on my computer such as the hostname. I sometimes use the Terminal, so I saw that the computer name had changed to "vuze on macbook-pro" and therefore I looked for a way to rename it as it was before. I ran the command scutil --set HostName <Name-of-Host>, then rebooted my computer. Now it gives the right computer name on Terminal. But when I connect to my router, my computer is still named "vuze on macbook-pro", so just on my network. If anyone could tell me how to fix this it would be really nice .

I also ran the command networksetup -getcomputername , and it gives me the good name...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I solved the problem on my own. For anyone who gets this kind of problem, try to change the MAC address of your device with:

sudo ifconfig en0 ether $(openssl rand -hex 6 | sed 's/\(..\)/\1:/g; s/./0/2; s/.$//')

then the problem should be fixed.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Glad you got it resolved.

You can also change the computer name in  > System Preferences... > Sharing > Computer Name.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Glad you got it resolved.

You can also change the computer name in  > System Preferences... > Sharing > Computer Name.

C

No I tried this way and it said the name of the machine is Macbook-Pro-of-XXXX. It's really something that seems to be hidden.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Since Vuse is a bittorrent client, maybe it needs to be that way when it is running? I have never used torrents, so I don't have any experience with them.

C

Reaction score
Since Vuse is a bittorrent client, maybe it needs to be that way when it is running? I have never used torrents, so I don't have any experience with them.

C

Yeah it probably needs to modify some stuff on the computer so it can run properly. But the fact is that I removed everything related to vuze, I used find command on the root, and removed every file containing 'vuze'.

I just saw my MAC address changed back to what it was before. Probably because I rebooted my device.

Anyway thanks for answering :)

Ask a Question