Ripped music vanished after recent 10.15 update in iCloud

Reaction score
After updating my late 2013 21" iMac a few months ago, I discovered a few days later that all my ripped music (about 30gb) has disappeared but haven't been able to recover it up to now. Only the music I have purchased from the Music Store remains! I am guessing it has something to do with my iCloud account.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Do you have a Time Machine or other backup of your data from before the update?
-Is the Music Library file still the same size?
-Are the songs still in the physical ~/Music/Music/Media folder?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, thanks for your reply

Q-Do you have a Time Machine or other backup of your data from before the update?

A- I did have a backup on an external hard drive but the drive developed a problem a year or so ago, would not back up and I could not fix the coded error (numerous times) so lost interest in / forgot about it.

Q-Is the Music Library file still the same size?

A- There should be around 30GB of music but it is nowhere to be found, either on the iMac hard disk or in iCloud. The only music available is music I have downloaded from the Apple Music Store, barely a GB.

Q-Are the songs still in the physical ~/Music/Music/Media folder?

No, only a few MB

The odd thing is that my 30GB 4th Gen iPod and iPhone 6 (which I don't use but keep as a spare) have all the music on them and they are backed up to iTunes every few months. Unfortunately, I could never work out how to import all of my music to my daily driver (iPhone XR 128GB), although the purchased Apple Store music syncs with that one ok.Could it be that I only have a 50 GB iCloud account and it is full?

Reaction score
Hi Cory, I made a mistake in one of my previous answers (to your questions) regarding my ripped music being nowhere to be found after a software update recently. I misread your question regarding being able to find the physical ~/Music/Music/Media folder, only finding the folders in the attached screen shot. Am I looking in the correct place? I am very confused about how iCloud works.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 7.01.55 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 7.01.55 pm.png
    193.7 KB · Views: 75

Ask a Question