Ibook from Ebay Freezes (I possibly got ripped off)

Reaction score
I bought a 14inch Ibook G4 with OSX 10.4.9 on it from Ebay and I am now having problems with it. The seller did not send any of the install discs and denied it saying he did but they weren't in the box. I used it for a while and it was fine but now it freezes frequently. From a cold start it will run for about ten minutes and then freeze meaning whatever I am doing stops and the mouse won't move. If I try to start it again right away it freezes on the all blue screen before I am asked to log in. If I let it sit for a while it will start but like I said only run for ten minutes or so. I reset the pram and tried taking the extra ram out and it still did the same thing. Another issue is that if I click on the disc utility the icon bounces a couple times and then closes. The same thing with the installer. I tried to download the 10.4.10 update and it won't install because the installer won't open. I have a set of 10.2 discs from my Imac and a set of 10.1.4 discs from my wife's Ibook. I'm not sure what else to try. I don't have anything on it that needs backed up.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I bought a 14inch Ibook G4 with OSX 10.4.9 on it from Ebay and I am now having problems with it. The seller did not send any of the install discs and denied it saying he did but they weren't in the box. I used it for a while and it was fine but now it freezes frequently. From a cold start it will run for about ten minutes and then freeze meaning whatever I am doing stops and the mouse won't move. If I try to start it again right away it freezes on the all blue screen before I am asked to log in. If I let it sit for a while it will start but like I said only run for ten minutes or so. I reset the pram and tried taking the extra ram out and it still did the same thing. Another issue is that if I click on the disc utility the icon bounces a couple times and then closes. The same thing with the installer. I tried to download the 10.4.10 update and it won't install because the installer won't open. I have a set of 10.2 discs from my Imac and a set of 10.1.4 discs from my wife's Ibook. I'm not sure what else to try. I don't have anything on it that needs backed up.

Hi kylebl1983,

it's worrying when you buy an item like your iBook G4 from eBay .... I recently bought 2 Macs off eBay and one was a good buy and the other not so good ... anyway back to you're problem ... regarding the installation discs, I would contact the seller and be assertive about the fact that you paid for the discs and they didn't come .... put a bit of pressure on the seller to come up with the goods.

Have you tried launching Disc Utility from the Utilities folder? Just press Command + U to go straight to the Utilities folder, then select Disc Utilities and try to launch it to see what happens.

If you can't get Disc Utility to launch you can try holding down Command + S while rebooting. This will cause your Mac to boot into single-user mode. After the boot process is complete, a message will appear that mentions running something like "fsk -y" so issue that command and see if it fixes the problem. The fsk tool will attempt to fix the file system on your Mac's hard drive.

Reaction score
I ran the fsk tool and it said everything appears to be okay. I'm not sure what else to try. I did contact the seller again and no dice. Do you thing the problem could be hardware related?

Ask a Question