SOLVED Music Library

Reaction score
on my MacBookPro (2017 - Catalina 10.15.5) I find 2 different maps containing Music. These maps have following paths :

1-MacintoshHD/users/my name/Music/lTunes/iTunesMedia/Music
2-MacintoshHD/users/my name/Music/Music

I'm streaming my music mainly to my Sonos System in which I have to indicate where the music is located.Given that the 2 maps are not identical some tracks are
not available because they are located in the map which I did not indicate in Sonos.
Therefor I would like to know which of above mentioned folders is the assigned folder for the Music app on my MacBookPro ? Then I would be able to copy songs
from one folder to the other or vice versa in order to have all my music in the right place.
After completing the assigned folder would it be recommended to move the other folder to the bin ?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

When you upgraded to Catalina, it should have copied all of your iTunes songs into the Music Library. The path for the Music app in Catalina is the second one: MacintoshHD/users/my name/Music/Music

You can navigate into the iTunes folder and import songs into the Music application, but you may end up with duplicates.

As always, it is recommended to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory

Thank you for your appreciated help. Some more clarification would oblige i.e.

can I copy songs from the iTunes folder to the Music folder in order to have all complete and in the right place, and then
can I simply move the iTunes folder to the bin ??

Zwever

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

A few things:
-Any idea how many or what songs are "missing" from the iTunes Library you had previously?
-In Music > Preferences > Files, make sure Keep Music Media folder organized and Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to Library are both checked.
-You can navigate to MacintoshHD/users/my name/Music/lTunes/iTunesMedia/Music, open each folder and drag the songs to the open Music application window to add them. You cannot simply move/copy them to MacintoshHD/users/my name/Music/lTunes/iTunesMedia/Music, as the Music app won't know they are there and add them to the Library database file.

Does that make sense?

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory

thanks for the clarification(s). I managed to get some tracks from the iTunes folder to the Music folder, so that is working ok.
I would appreciate if you could let me know if it is advisable moving the ITunes folder to the bin ?
Zwever

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Of course, it is always recommended to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data. Also, you could always copy the iTunes folder to an external drove, just to be safe in case you missed any.

That said, if you recovered all the missing songs and they are listed/playable in the Music application, you can move the iTunes folder to the Trash. I would leave it there without emptying it, to give enough time to make sure all the songs are playing. Once you are sure everything is working as expected, you can then empty the Trash and recover the disk space.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Roger roger I'm completely in the picture now and understand how to handle the issue.
Thanks
Z

Ask a Question