ITunes -lost music library

Reaction score
I updated ITunes from V7.71 to V8 in late September, and had a nasty surprise. I am unable now to access much of my music library such as from my many proprietary recorded CD's and digital copies of old vinyl records from my (earlier) other collection.

It seems that back-up copies of my music library on Time Machine were successively overwritten (I witnessed this before my very eyes) and associated key files e.g. .xml were removed/deleted.

I uninstalled V8 and re-installed V7.71, updated permissions, but this was to no avail, even with an apparent pre-update library (from Time Machine) being installed too. Now my Mac tells me I do not have permission to use (or I am locked out of) my music files all together.

I am hoping that one of you 'bright sparks' out there can help/advise on a rescue plan as I am feeling quite miserable right now. My collection has taken many years to put together

However, be careful updating ITunes as the song now playing in my head is not a very happy one!

Reaction score
A happy update: The new ITunes update (8.0.1) was offered today and reluctantly, I installed the update. To my amazement on re-start my permissions was restored and my music library became available again? I have not yet checked Time Machine, but am bemused by this experience. Does anyone have an explanation....or is it just an old timer being out of his depth?

cdh1

Ask a Question