Reliable External backup Drives

Reaction score
I currently have a time machine for regular back up.
(Plus +a few external firewire/usb backup drives, CDs and DVDs - all methods have had some data loss over the years)

I'd like to double up and consolidate backup of all my data/files in a reliable convenient way.

Is there any alternative to hard drive backup or at least a high quality/reliability option?

I know there's always going to be some negative experiences but the fail ratios seem astonishingly poor for all brands and products. Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, Buffalo, Lacie...time machine's also seem to have their issues.

Just looking at Amazon and forums a 1 in 4 fail rate seems to be the better end of ratios. That's pretty dismal and disconcerting.

I starting looking into Dual drives/Raid 1 but they too seem to have plenty of negative feedback.

DVDs I've found unreliable in my own experience.

I have a lot of old cds of data I was hoping to transfer to hard drive but, while they're tiny and slow, it sounds like I'd be better off sticking with them! Surely there's got to be a better reliable option.

Curious for anyone to chime in/advise on this issue...

thanks

Reaction score
Now is not a good time to be looking for "reliable" drives, with the pressure of the floods many drives have been allowed to pass QA should have been dumped.

I used to have a Raid but it was far to slow and when one drive had a glitch I had to rebuild, now I have a twin enclosure and CCC does a clone on Wednesday and Sunday nights.

Ask a Question