Random rebooting ventura macbook air M2

Reaction score
my brand new new macbook air M2 randomly reboots when i am not using it. sometimes 5 reboots during the night ( i know this because i get messages that i must eject my time machine before turning off computer ) am not a young computer savvy kid. i am an old lady and just want my new computer to work properly . a phone tech supervisor talked me through disk utility first aid stuff and installing a new ventura. but it did not work. anybody out there got the answer???

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

First thing I would try would be to disconnect all external devices, including the Time Machine hard drive. See if the Mac still experiences the restarts. If not, then it may be due to one of those devices.
  • What brand/model is the Time Machine drive and how old is it?
  • How is it connected?
  • Do you have other peripherals connected?
C

Reaction score
I’m pretty good with dealing with old ladies’ Mac problems. Several—my ex-wife and a couple of ex-girlfriends who still run to me with their Mac problems are pro-bono clients. ;) Must be from having been an AppleCare technician for several years. Cory has the right idea. First eliminate all variables (connected drives and peripherals) to make sure the problem is not caused by one or more of them. If the Mac comes up just fine, reconnect the external devices one-by-one and restart. Hopefully the offender will be one of them. Otherwise, there are other steps to try. (My prime suspect, your Time Machine drive.)

Reaction score
my brand new new macbook air M2 randomly reboots when i am not using it. sometimes 5 reboots during the night ( i know this because i get messages that i must eject my time machine before turning off computer ) am not a young computer savvy kid. i am an old lady and just want my new computer to work properly . a phone tech supervisor talked me through disk utility first aid stuff and installing a new ventura. but it did not work. anybody out there got the answer???

In all honesty, I have never has my somewhat older Macbook Air.. but then I always check for new mail before shutting ot down for the night. I am not a computer 'whiz (unfortunatly) and one of of their experts provide you with a reason. While I have had the occasional "PROBLEM' I have called Apple Canada it... IS a free call... You just leave your phone number and they call with few minutes and one of their 'experts will call back with a few minutes. I was wanting to donate my much older Macbook (that had not opened in 25 years to any young school kid 'in need' of a computer for school-work... and and they 'talked me through getting it up and going within a few minutes.
I was (and still am) MORE than satisfied with the support that Apple provides when an owner has a "problem' with any of their products.

Ken

Reaction score
I’m pretty good with dealing with old ladies’ Mac problems. Several—my ex-wife and a couple of ex-girlfriends who still run to me with their Mac problems are pro-bono clients. ;) Must be from having been an AppleCare technician for several years. Cory has the right idea. First eliminate all variables (connected drives and peripherals) to make sure the problem is not caused by one or more of them. If the Mac comes up just fine, reconnect the external devices one-by-one and restart. Hopefully the offender will be one of them. Otherwise, there are other steps to try. (My prime suspect, your Time Machine drive.)

Reaction score
My Time Machine was old so I bought a new Time Machine passport for Mac Icon shifting indicates rebooting still occurring although no TM message. Do you think I should return it and start again with a new one. I had hoped this would be the last computer I’d ever buy. But if it’s doing weird stuff brand new I fear it won’t last long

Ask a Question