Bluetooth and USB randomly dropping on iMac 2017

Reaction score
Hello. Hoping someone here is a mac genius and can help me diagnose the issue. I have a 2017 iMac (27") and last week I was typing and suddenly the curser stopped responding. I tried moving the mouse and that too was unresponsive. Around the time that happened, my external hard drive used for time machine backups would generate a message that it was not ejected properly but it was still plugged in. I then plugged in a wired keyboard and mouse and both were nonresponsive (I tried both of them on my macbook and they worked fine)... so clearly something is causing the USB and bluetooth to drop. I was on the line w/ an AppleCare rep and he had me do a few things PRAM, SMC and said he thinks it may be a hardware issue.

It kept happening more and more frequently. I cannot even backup my iMac because it happens before my machine can get through the backup.

End of day, I just bought a new iMac... well, refurbished because I wanted 27" and all they have are refurbished...

I want to sell my old computer now. I maxed the RAM (64 gigs crucial memory) and it worked great until last week.

Has anyone here experienced anything similar? Does it sound like hardware? Any suggestions to troubleshoot? I want to sell it on Craigs List. I know it would be worth a lot more if it was fully functional. Also, what do you think it would be worth in its current state? Thank you!

Reaction score
Hello. Hoping someone here is a mac genius and can help me diagnose the issue. I have a 2017 iMac (27") and last week I was typing and suddenly the curser stopped responding. I tried moving the mouse and that too was unresponsive. Around the time that happened, my external hard drive used for time machine backups would generate a message that it was not ejected properly but it was still plugged in. I then plugged in a wired keyboard and mouse and both were nonresponsive (I tried both of them on my macbook and they worked fine)... so clearly something is causing the USB and bluetooth to drop. I was on the line w/ an AppleCare rep and he had me do a few things PRAM, SMC and said he thinks it may be a hardware issue.

It kept happening more and more frequently. I cannot even backup my iMac because it happens before my machine can get through the backup.

End of day, I just bought a new iMac... well, refurbished because I wanted 27" and all they have are refurbished...

I want to sell my old computer now. I maxed the RAM (64 gigs crucial memory) and it worked great until last week.

Has anyone here experienced anything similar? Does it sound like hardware? Any suggestions to troubleshoot? I want to sell it on Craigs List. I know it would be worth a lot more if it was fully functional. Also, what do you think it would be worth in its current state? Thank you!
Did you hang onto the original memory modules? Try replacing the ones you installed with the Apple original memory to test if that brings back the original functionality. I have come across problems with third-party memory before and it’s not that unusual. If that indeed is the case, Crucial might be willing to replace the ones you have.

I’m not that familiar with the model iMac you have and am hoping that it does not require major surgery to replace memory modules.

Reaction score
the RAM models are very easy to replace on this iMac. They are slots and you can very easily remove replace memory and crucial is what was recommended to me by Apple I replaced the RAM more than 2 years ago, though, and this was never a problem so have a hard time believing that this is the cause.

Reaction score
the RAM models are very easy to replace on this iMac. They are slots and you can very easily remove replace memory and crucial is what was recommended to me by Apple I replaced the RAM more than 2 years ago, though, and this was never a problem so have a hard time believing that this is the cause.
If you still have the original memory, there’s no reason why you can’t test to see if this is indeed the problem. You can’t be 100% certain that the memory modules presently installed have not gone bad. I have come across so many weird problems caused by bad memory. They can go bad over time.

Ask a Question