Problem with photos

Reaction score
Hi guys, back again for help. Had my MacBook Pro13 for 2 +years but having issues importing pics.Running High Sierra 10.13.3.
( Long time windows user and probably expecting windows results but I "know" apple is different, and by gosh it is.)
I store all my pics on external HD and flash drives to keep my mac clear, however, when I plug in a flash drive and select a pic and select "share" and "add to photos" ( to send grandkid pics along etc ) nothing happens. I cannot find the pic in photos. The icon in the dock of photos "bounces" like it received a pic but when I open the icon on the dock the pic is not in fact there.
What am I doing wrong? Thanks guys. But as a plus, when I go to mail and upload pics, I see many more different pics than are in photos on the dock!! What is this? Thank you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

Where is your actual Photos Library stored - on the internal drive, or you external hard drive? If it is on an external, it has to be plugged in and mounted for Photos to work properly. If it isn't, when you add photos to Photos, it will create a second library on the internal drive in your Pictures folder.

When you right-click on a photo and choose Share > Add to Photos, Photos will open and the icon will bounce. The photo won't show in Last Import, but will show in the Photos view (all photos), normally at the bottom, depending on your view settings.

As far as Mail, you are using the photo browser button to choose photos, correct? If so, that will show all of the photos in the current Photos Library that shows in the Photos app.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Good, its working. I mount my ext. HD weekly for Time Machine and Super-Duper back-ups and at that time I take any new pics and add to Ext HD then "clear " the pics from the mac.Any pics I later want to send to parents etc, I mount Ext HD and place back in photos for the purpose of sending in mail.
Still getting used to Mac's ways, for example it took a lot of trial and error to figure out how to play "slideshow" using Command A to select then Option Spacebar to play.
All good and now I have a great place to ask those questions when confronted with new problems, Thank You.

Reaction score
I think I have to add that unless I keep hitting the "keep oldest first" then photo and finder completely randomize pics on playback. I find that irritating. Why can it not be permanently kept as "keep oldest first" when displaying for eg "slideshow"? It becomes especially true that the randomization occurs when I put pics from "photos" onto a flash to send to parents. Do you experience this? Is there any way to permanently keep pics in chronological order?
Thanks.

Ask a Question