OS X 10.10.5 Photoshop problem

Reaction score
I'm currently using Photoshop CC 2015 on OS X 10.10.5 and I have a rather annoying problem that I wondered if anyone could help me with. I'm not sure if it's related to OS X or PS.

The issue takes place if I open several pictures from ACR into PS. Until the images have finished loading they are always on top, which means that if I tab or select another program to look at, whilst waiting for the files to finish loading, I am unable to look at the other programs because the loading pictures are in the way.

This is the first time I've experienced this issue with other versions of PS, where the files loaded in the background, and it's quite infuriating. Until not too long ago I used PS CS5, but needing to update to a new laptop means I've had to go with PS CC and with CC taking a while to open a batch of files I'm stuck twiddling my thumbs until they have finished opening.

I work as a photojournalist, so the problem slows everything down (I would usually be writing captions on already edited images in another program as pictures load).

Really hope I've explained the issue well, I'm a bit worn out and not sure if I make sense!

Macbook Pro specs:
OS X 10.10.5
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I think I understand your issue - Adobe Camera Raw is causing system-wide issues when loading multiple photos, correct?

I would suggest a few things:

-Make sure all the Adobe updates are applied.
-Try opening a singe or a couple photos instead of multiples.
-Is there a generate preview preference in ACR or PS that can be toggled off for testing?
-How much free space is there on your MBP drive?

C

Reaction score
Hi Corey,

Thank you so much for the reply!

Apologies if I was not clear. It's not ACR that's causing the problems. It's Photoshop itself. The problem occurs when I have finished working on the pictures in ACR and clicked on 'Open Images'. The pictures then open in Photoshop itself, but will only ever open over the top of any other windows I have (so I am unable to work in or view another program as the pictures open up). I've also tried this with large PSD files that do not require ACR and again, they open over other windows in the same manner.

Adobe CC and the MacbookPro are all up to date and my hard disk space varies, but there's usually around 120Gb free. Due to the nature of my work I back up and clear off work very quickly. I have a 250Gb SSD, would 120Gb be a problem (those figures are almost the same as the way I worked with my last MBP without this issue occurring)?

Opening images a couple at a time or singly would slow everything down to a snail's pace (probably slower than it is with the issue).

I'm not sure I understand the toggle preview preference suggestion - but I have scoured 'System Preferences' and Photoshop preferences for a solution, with no success.

I find Photoshop CC2015 to be quite clunky compared to older versions, so deep down I wonder if it's something to do with that (I haven't yet tried uninstalling/re-installing because of the amount of time it takes to download, but I guess I should).

Still quite perplexed and frustrated with the issue, so would be extremely welcoming of any other suggestions. Sadly I appear to be the only one having this problem, but maybe someone, somewhere, someday will stumble across this post and find it useful if it gets solved.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

I think understand the issue better - thanks for the clarification. I don't have access to Photoshop CC 2015, so I am limited in the amount of troubleshooting I can do. I gave up on Photoshop back with Adobe Creative Suite 4, since I got tired of paying large amounts of money annually for a few new features. In addition, I have found several other less expensive apps that give me the same functionality. Of course, I am not a professional photographer, so my needs are very different than yours. ;)

I did some online research, and you are definitely not alone. Many people are experiencing sluggish performance with this version. I did see some had success by quitting the Adobe Creative Cloud app or disabling it altogether: How do I stop the Adobe Creative Cloud app from auto-launching on login?

Cloud-based services are known to slow things down to a crawl - Google Drive, DropBox, Carbonite, etc., especially if you have a large amount of files to keep in sync. Also, anti-virus software and apps like MacKeeper and CleanMyMac, can wreak havoc on Macs, since they scan every file that is opened. Have any of those installed?

C

Reaction score
Fully agree with you, I wouldn't usually use it, but with the new MBP being on Yosemite I have no other choice. Sadly I need a version of Photoshop and CC is the only one I can use on here (despite paying for a proper copy of PS CS5 - a lovely un-clunky and stable version of Photoshop that served my needs for many years - when it came out). I could talk at length about Adobe... ;)

I'd heard, I saw other people I occasionally work alongside using it and dreaded moving from my much beloved OS X 10.6.8 and having to upgrade to CC when the time came - I still miss SL. I actually have the CC app turned off when I login/startup; so I know it's not that.

I've none of those apps installed. Not a fan of a lot of Cloud based gubbins, or people forcing them on users. Oddly I've spent quite a bit of time in the last year or so removing MacKeeper and CleanMyMac from colleagues Macbooks!

Thanks for the other suggestions. I may just uninstall and re-install today while I have some downtime and pop another reply in here with the results.

Ask a Question