sierra upgrade photos problem

Reaction score
Upgraded ( at the Apple shop!) to Sierra. All my photos have disappeared from their respective named albums and are just in one group - all 14, 000 of them. Can anyone help before I have to go back to Apple shop.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Try clicking Photos > View (in menu bar) > Show Sidebar. You should see your albums there.

C

Reaction score
Thank you. That was quick :) I did that I tried and four albums appeared. Everything appears on the sidebar
ie All photos 14,826 Favs / People / Places/ Videos/Selfie / etc etc but all my albums i e My Art / My Family / Glass art / Singapore etc etc do not show. I had maybe 25 or more separate albums. Just can't see a way to get the 14,826 back into order.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...

Do you happen to have a Time Machine or other backup of your data from before you performed the upgrade?

C

Reaction score
Hmmm...

Do you happen to have a Time Machine or other backup of your data from before you performed the upgrade?

C
Yes but that has the previous system on - Yosemite. Also when I went for workshop at Apple Store, it was noticed that iCloud preferences would not open. Took two hours trying to work it out and it only allowed ICloud Preferences when upgraded to Sierra. Except that's when my albums went awol. I'd been there for so long and I had to leave at that point so I have to go back next week ( another 50 mile round trip) unless anyone can help. Do appreciate your suggestions.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Even though the Time Machine backup has Yosemite, it should still be recognized and be able to restore files from it.

Because we don't want you to lose any of your photos or data, it may be best to bring the Time Machine drive with you to the Apple Store again, and have them attempt to restore the iPhoto Library and upgrade it again in person. It is much easier to do this when one can actually see what is happening.

C

Reaction score
Even though the Time Machine backup has Yosemite, it should still be recognized and be able to restore files from it.

Because we don't want you to lose any of your photos or data, it may be best to bring the Time Machine drive with you to the Apple Store again, and have them attempt to restore the iPhoto Library and upgrade it again in person. It is much easier to do this when one can actually see what is happening.

C
Yes, thank you. I had hoped I could sort it myself - with help - but I can't. I must say, as an aside, I am not happy with Sierra and all the new oddities that happen, not just my pics, and I would be happy to return to Yosemite and stay there. Thank you for all your advice :) Linda

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

If you have other issues, we would be glad to help out. Two thing that are good practice to slightly speed up Sierra and restore functionality are:

 > System Preferences... > General > Show scroll bars: Always
 > System Preferences... > Accessibility > Display > check Reduce Transparency (especially on older Macs)

Let us now how it goes with the photos and good luck!

C

Reaction score
No worries.

If you have other issues, we would be glad to help out. Two thing that are good practice to slightly speed up Sierra and restore functionality are:

 > System Preferences... > General > Show scroll bars: Always
 > System Preferences... > Accessibility > Display > check Reduce Transparency (especially on older Macs)

Let us now how it goes with the photos and good luck!

C
thank you. Will do.

Ask a Question