Upgraded to High Sierra and Now Can't Access Soundboard Gaming App

Reaction score
Greetings,

I've recently upgraded to macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.4 and I can no longer access one of my favorite gaming websites. I could access the website and get it to work just fine before I upgraded.

The website I'm trying to get to work for me is the Star Wars soundboard app which can be found here; https://www.starwars.com/games-apps/star-wars-soundboard

Now, the soundboard won't even appear for me at all. All I see is a black part of the screen as it appears and it just doesn't load. Last night I stopped by the Apple store and tried to open the same website on the new computers there, and the website wouldn't appear for any new computers using High Sierra either.

I assume I need some sort of a plugin to get this older website to work on my Mac. Can anybody help me? This one has my friends and I stumped.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I just tried on several Macs running High Sierra, Sierra, and El Capitan using Safari and Google Chrome. I get the same black window. Looks like it may be a problem on the website, and not your Mac.

C

Reaction score
I just clicked on the link the op provided (OS 10.13.4, latest version of Google Chrome), and it works fine.

Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I tried opening the website using Chrome and was unsuccessful. I still get the same empty black background.

Cory... would you mind sharing any plugins you may be running? I'm assuming I'm missing a plugin of some sort that will fix this issue. Are you able to click on links for the sound effects?

I can also navigate to the website using my iPhone. Though I can't access the content on the website using my phone, I can at least see the website and not just the empty blackness.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I am not running any plugins other than 1Password...and I get the same black box where the soundboard should be that you are getting. I can see the rest of the site around the soundboard, and can see all the other links from the navigation bar. It;s just the soundboard area that is the black rectangle.

honestone said he could see the soundboard. Maybe we should do some screenshots?

C

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Here is what I get on all my Macs, versions of OS X/macOS, and browsers:
soundboard.png

C

Reaction score
Not sure why you are having issues. I again just clicked on the link you provided in Google Chrome, and the site shows up fine. And I also just copied and pasted the link in two other browsers (Firefox and Opera), and again it shows up fine.

For Google Chrome, I have the following extensions/add-ons (actually called "Extensions"):

1Password extension
Change Colors
Full Page Screen Capture
Ghostery - Privacy Ad Blocker
h254ify
Honey
Hotspot Shield VPN Free Proxy
HTTPS Everywhere
New Tab Redirect
Safe Search
Video Resumer
Docs (Under the title "Chrome Apps")

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, I figured out what is happening. The soundboard section loads insecure scripts to run, so the browsers are blocking it for safety. In Chrome, you should see a little icon with red in it next to the star in the URL bar:

script_icon.png

If you click it, a popup will appear, which will allow you to authorize the scripts to run. Then the soundboard content will load.

C

Reaction score
OK, I figured out what is happening. The soundboard section loads insecure scripts to run, so the browsers are blocking it for safety. In Chrome, you should see a little icon with red in it next to the star in the URL bar:

View attachment 2736

If you click it, a popup will appear, which will allow you to authorize the scripts to run. Then the soundboard content will load.

C

Interesting. Myself, when I click on that little icon (next to the star), it says:

Insecure content blocked
This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources

Really do not know how that option gets set, and it's the first time I have seen it. Maybe the Ghostery extension is "saving me".

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Not sure...it is a puzzler. That's what I see when clicking the icon I mentioned above. All modern browsers should block the content by default.

insecure_content.png

Upon further investigation, it seems the reason for the blockage is as follows:

chrome_errors.png

The issue may resolve itself, if their webmaster is aware.

C

Reaction score
Cory,

I should know this, but how can I "copy" the "image" I am seeing via the link above, just like you did above?

Also, while I do get the initial black portion like you, clicking on any of those choices (NEWS - BLOG, VIDEO, EVENTS, etc.) does reveal further images. Also, if I scroll down from the original image (dark, like yours), I do see 3 choices for Online Games. Other things seem to work also. Not sure, though, what the op means by the soundboard issue.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I use the Screenshot Plus widget, and capture a window. I also use the selection tool to drag what I want a screenshot of, which is how I got the icons from the URL bar and the errors on the website

We are getting the same as you. The black space is where the Star Wars Soundboard should load, but it doesn't due to the error I mentioned.. The rest of the site loads, including the other tabs. It's just the soundboard that has the error from what I can tell.

C

Ask a Question