Please help! Mac mail PDF

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am hoping someone can help me as I would love to fix this issue for my mum.

When she writes an email in her Mac Mail (mavericks) she clicks file and export to PDF and saves it on her desktop.

When opening the file in preview on some pages the bottom and top lines are cut off. Almost like they are out side of the margins. (Document has to be 3/4 pages long)

I tried it on my Mac and had exactly the same problem.

Apple had no idea! If anyone could help it would be truly appreciated. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 385
Reaction score
Is the file an Attachment?
If it's and Attachment no need to Export, just drag and drop it to the Desktop.

Reaction score
Is the file an Attachment?
If it's and Attachment no need to Export, just drag and drop it to the Desktop.
Thanks so much for your reply. No it's not an attachment. She's not computer savvy at all. She is writing long text emails in mac mail and needs to export them to PDF but as you can see in the file I attached the texts gets cut off. I need to know how to fix this. Would love any help and she would be so happy.

Reaction score
Looks like a top margin problem.

Have you tried
File > Print > PDF button > Open in Preview?

Reaction score
Don't create the PDF with Export to PDF, make the PDF by
File > Print > PDF button

Reaction score
Don't create the PDF with Export to PDF, make the PDF by
File > Print > PDF button
Hi Kaveman, thanks again for your help. I just tried that and still on both my macs and my Mum's mac the text is outside of the margins. Please see attached snap shot of the opened PDF

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 11.15.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 11.15.34 PM.png
    116.5 KB · Views: 344
Reaction score
Hi Kaveman, thanks again for your help. I just tried that and still on both my macs and my Mum's mac the text is outside of the margins. Please see attached snap shot of the opened PDF
I also just went to file print then played around with the print layout settings. Tried landscape etc and still lines of text are chopped off :(

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Could you please upload an actual problematic PDF for us to check? Just fill one up with the same type of text as in the screenshot.

Try dragging the problematic PDF onto Safari to see if it's displayed any differently …

Also, create a Text Edit file then File ~> Print ~> PDF ~> Save as PDF to check whether Text Edit PDF's also misbehave.

Reaction score
Could you please upload an actual problematic PDF for us to check? Just fill one up with the same type of text as in the screenshot.

Try dragging the problematic PDF onto Safari to see if it's displayed any differently …

Also, create a Text Edit file then File ~> Print ~> PDF ~> Save as PDF to check whether Text Edit PDF's also misbehave.
Hi Spawn, thanks for your message I have attached the PDF. I tried saving the PDF in text edit and the file was perfect. I really don't want to tell my Mum to do these in text edit as she can barely use Mac Mail and would love to fix the current issue.

Attachments

• Test page.pdf
    173.5 KB · Views: 364
Reaction score
Hi,

Am on phone at present but your PDF looks fine including the images.
As a test instead of your mum saving / creating a PDF what is the result if she tries to print the email?

Reaction score
Hi,

Am on phone at present but your PDF looks fine including the images.
As a test instead of your mum saving / creating a PDF what is the result if she tries to print the email?
Hi, thanks so much for your message. I just downloaded the PDF that I uploaded above and the file is not looking fine my end. I have taken a snapshot from my end and have uploaded it

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 3.26.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 3.26.26 PM.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 377

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Emma, when I opened that PDF in Preview it has the cut-off text, which is very weird!

Tell me did you create the PDF on you Mac or was it originally created on your mums?

The Text Edit exercise was just to narrow down whether it is Mail or the saving as a PDF process which is at fault or whether it is a greater issue with your mums operating system or user account. We just have to use the process of elimination which means trying several different experiments.

Do you live near your mum? You might need access to her mac to help us further troubleshoot this.

Reaction score
Hi,

Here is what I see front and back end only as it's 15 pages on phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 386
Reaction score
Emma, when I opened that PDF in Preview it has the cut-off text, which is very weird!

Tell me did you create the PDF on you Mac or was it originally created on your mums?

The Text Edit exercise was just to narrow down whether it is Mail or the saving as a PDF process which is at fault or whether it is a greater issue with your mums operating system or user account. We just have to use the process of elimination which means trying several different experiments.

Do you live near your mum? You might need access to her mac to help us further troubleshoot this.
Hi Spawn. When I created a PDF in text edit that file was perfect. It's only in mail. It happens to my mums files when she's does it so I tried it on my mac and my iMac and I also had the exact same problem when exporting it to PDF in mac mail.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I also had the exact same problem when exporting it to PDF in mac mail.

And you're using Mavericks also?

Do you have an attached printer? Try this:

Go to a mail message and then go to File ~> Print ~> Paper Size ~> Custom Sizes (or whatever it says)

Then click the + button and then click on the "Non Printable Area" pull down menu to select your printer. Tell us what measurements are in the Left Top Right Bottom fields. Especially the top & bottom fields.

This could be the culprit, I don't know for sure because this issue is replacating on different Macs, but we'll see. You never know if you don't try :)

@ oldscribe, was the top/bottom text halved for you when viewed on your iPhone?

Last edited:
Reaction score
And you're using Mavericks also?

Do you have an attached printer? Try this:

Go to a mail message and then go to File ~> Print ~> Paper Size ~> Custom Sizes (or whatever it says)

Then click the + button and then click on the "Non Printable Area" pull down menu to select your printer. Tell us what measurements are in the Left Top Right Bottom fields. Especially the top & bottom fields.

This could be the culprit, I don't know for sure because this issue is replacating on different Macs, but we'll see. You never know if you don't try :)

@ oldscribe, was the top/bottom text halved for you when viewed on your iPhone?
Spawn, thanks for your message. Yes my Mum and I are using Mavericks. Ok I did what you asked and the top, bottom, left and right margins in Custom Sizes is .12in. My Mum and I both have wireless printers. She has an HP and I have an Epsom

Ask a Question