playing video

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Got my shiny new mac a few days ago, and I'm loving it. I'm having a bit of problem playing some of the .avi videos I have though. The problem is that they won't play. On my windows laptop, I had to download some codecs (the ffdshow set) in order to play these files. Is there a mac equivalent?

On a more general note, do people recommend using quicktime or would I be better off with something else?

many thanks in advance. (I'm using Leopard 10.5.2 by the way.)

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Got my shiny new mac a few days ago, and I'm loving it. I'm having a bit of problem playing some of the .avi videos I have though. The problem is that they won't play. On my windows laptop, I had to download some codecs (the ffdshow set) in order to play these files. Is there a mac equivalent?

On a more general note, do people recommend using quicktime or would I be better off with something else?

many thanks in advance. (I'm using Leopard 10.5.2 by the way.)

I recommend using VLC Player. It will play almost anything you throw at it.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14738

Reaction score
Yep, VLC Player is a great app! I've seen it play Quicktime movies that Quicktime couldn't even play. It plays DVD's as well. :)

Ask a Question