Photos duplicated? Both .jpg and .JPG copies.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
When you import a photo into iPhoto, even if you just rotate the image, iPhoto keeps the original, makes a copy and applies the rotation to the copy. It then displays the copy in your iPhoto Library. The original is there, hidden behind the scenes and available if you look in the menu .. "Revert To Original" I think it says.

I'm currently in the process of sorting out my iPhoto library after finding up to 5 duplicates, hidden behind the scenes, making my library up to 3 times as fat as it should be and I do NOT want this. I did exactly as you outline above but at my pace it will take me the rest of my life and it's very dangerous for the faint hearted.

It's likely my fault through misunderstanding the powers of iPhoto to begin with. I plan to still use iPhoto but I will edit elsewhere before importing and I will not allow iPhoto to manage my library. At the time this seemed harmless but you live and learn :)

Reaction score
Compared to loosing that priceless photo what's a little disk space. :eek:

I love the idea that iPhoto keeps a pristine copy of the original. While I store the bulk of my photos in Aperture, if I want books, cards and the like, I copy them into iPhoto, I also use it for iWeb and other types of sharing.

iPhoto is one of Apples best pieces of software, but I have seen many people distraught because they started going behind its back and messing around in its Library. Unless you know how exactly what you are doing and how it will effect the other iPhoto files and indexes I advise extreme caution.

Ask a Question