Password

Reaction score
Hi, OS X 10.10.5 have successfully reset Apple ID password but when i try to change date and time preferences password will not work ????????

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
You can have a separate User Account password to your regular AppleID, are you saying they are one & the same?

You can change the User Account password in System Preferences~>Users & Groups~>Change Password although if the padlock in locked you may find the issue prevents you.

Reaction score
thanks for the info. before i reset the id pass the same pass would unlock the date and time preferences now the new pass or the old one will not unlock

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Well we know now that your AppleID is bona fide & not the problem here.

Hold down Command-R on your keyboard immediately after pressing the power button to turn on your Mac, or immediately after your Mac begins to restart. Continue holding until you see the Apple logo. Startup is complete when you see the utilities window. Select Disk Utility then look in the menu for the Reset Password option.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
There are security risks with using your AppleID as your login password this is why Apple removed this feature from the User Account ~> Change Password in System Preferences.

If you use 2 Factor Authentication this might cause problems with having your AppleID/Login password set the same, too.

You could try using it if you must have it but otherwise I'd suggest creating a different password.

Reaction score
me again. i backed up all files and got to disk utility but there was no option to reset password either on the screen or from the pull downs, did i miss something ??

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Okay this is the correct method for your Mac OS X Version:
  1. Turn off your Mac (choose Apple ~> Shut Down).
  2. Press the power button while holding down Command-R. The Mac will boot into Recovery mode. When you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys. It may take a few minutes to load.
  3. Select Disk Utility and press Continue.
  4. Choose Utilities ~> Terminal.
  5. Enter resetpassword (all one word, lowercase letters) and press Return
  6. Select the volume containing the account (normally this will be your Main hard drive).
  7. Choose the account to change with Select the User Account.
  8. Enter a new password and re-enter it into the password fields.
  9. Enter a new password hint related to the password.
  10. Click Save.
  11. A warning will appear that the password has changed, but not the Keychain Password. Click OK.
  12. Click Apple ~> Shut Down.
Now start up the Mac. You can login using the new password.

Ask a Question