pages

Reaction score
does anybody here use pages 2 from the iwork package ?
and if so how good is ms word support ?
i am dependant of ms word i have wel over 50.000 ms word files
and i cant open them al individually and resave them ina new format or check them one by one
they have to work right out of the box
my ms word X version is gettinga bit old in the tooth ( the disc is getting scratchy ) and i loath to upgrade to 2004
pages seems like a worthy alternative

i have tried abiword and even though its good in its own right it doesnt handle ms word 2000 files too well

neo office does but im not to fond of its interface or its sluggishness

so is pages 2 a good alternative ?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have Pages 2... by all means email me a word doc and I'll convert in Pages...then save as PDF so you can see how well (or not) it's done !

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
hmm before i spam your mail box i do like to know if pages is able to open not convert but open word files just like neo office does
even on my imac G5 neo office is a bit sluggish

its impossible to convert all those 50.000 files by hand

Reaction score
i managed to try pages out and it opens word files just fine
but i came across an even bigger problem and i cant believe nobody mentioned this
but pages is only compatible with pages
neo office and ms office cant open pages files and pages doesnt even allow you to specify the format

guess il have to stick with neooffice then

Reaction score
You should be able to save as an RTF file in Pages (infact I am sure you can) - if you can, Word will open RTF files.

You should also be able to save as a plain text file, which MS Word will also open. :)

Reaction score
i have foudn out that pages can export files as rtf and word
but a direct save is only possible in pages format
and that is workable but very cumbersome

Reaction score
Then all you need to do is save as pages, and then use the export menu to export it to and it will resave as a file of your choice.

Use the File->Export menu command (with the Pages document open in front of you, move your mouse pointer up to the File menu; press and hold the mouse button to see the items in the File menu; slide your mouse pointer down to the menu item named "Export" and release the mouse button).

A drop-down will appear with 6 icons: PDF, Word, HTML, RTF, and Plain Text. Click the icon of your choice then click the <Next> button. Another drop-down will appear that allows you to name the file and set the location to which it is saved. Just choose your Mac HD to save it and it will be saved as the doc you chose from the 6 icons that appeared.

If you cannot choose your Mac HD as the export point, then use something like a usb memory key to save it, and then copy back from the memory key to your hard drive.

Reaction score
stil way to cumbersome
it means that i wil need to have two copies of every new file i make
i think i am better off looking in to ms office

Ask a Question