Outlook for Mac - sent items disappeared

Reaction score
I have an ongoing Office 365 subscription.
On my iMAC (macOS High Sierra) I am using Outlook but suddenly all my sent items disappeared.

Recently our email server changed so I had to change the settings to make sure I could still send/receive from the Mac.
It looks like this somehow caused the damage! (or it could be a coincidence?). Anyway, all the old sent emails have disappeared.
However, when I now send an email from the Mac it does stay in the sent items.

I also changed the settings on my PC and that had no effect on the sent items on the PC.

Actually, this iMac belongs to my better half, and she is not best pleased about losing the sent items emails, as so many were very important.

I am not really a Mac user so I do not know where to start with this
???

Can anyone help please

Reaction score
I know what has happened here...

On my PC outlook is set as a POP account.
On the iMac outlook is set as an IMAP account.

So since the server changed, everything on the iMac was lost
>:(

I wish our provider had asked me the right questions when he said do I need any of the old emails!
Big lesson learnt here.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Basically,
POP = device-based
IMAP = server-based

Since the PC was setup as POP, it saves a copy of the sent mails on the local computer. The iMac was set up as IMAP, which syncs those folders to mirror the server.

Who is the email provider? Most email providers/ISPs will transfer all of the mailboxes when they convert to a newer version or server.

Did you happen to have Time Machine running on the iMac? If so, you may be able to restore the sent emails from a backup. This is a good example of how a Time Machine or other backup can save you in times like these.

C

Ask a Question