No Video

Reaction score
Every time I try and watch a video, whether its You Tube or even the BBC News, I keep getting - "Your browser doesn't recommend any of the video formats available"

It then goes on about a trial for HTML5, does this mean that I'll be charged for HTML5 when the trial runs out, I don't use it that much and don't want to start paying, how can I get my browser to go back to the old video? I have OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6 - Safari Version 10.0 (11602.1.50.0.10)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

That is usually a result of either a third-party video plugin/extension of some sort being out of date.
-Is Adobe Flash installed and up to date?
-Do you have ClicktoFlash installed?
-Do you have an adblocker installed?
-Have you tried clearing the history, caches, and cookies in Safari?
-Have you tried another browser like Chrome or Firefox?

You shouldn't have to pay for HTML5, as it is built-in to all modern browsers.

C

Reaction score
In answer to your questions
Yes I do have Adobe Flash installed, I can get the sound on videos just no picture
I don't know what clicktoFlash is
I do have an adblocker installed, it was installed by Apple after I was hacked once
I don't know how to clear my history, caches and cookies
I don't want to use other browsers

I'll look up ClicktoFlash and see what happens, thank you

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information.

-Some plug-ins are disabled by Apple by default. You can check and allow them in Safari > Preferences... > Security > Plug-in Settings...
-ClickToFlash has been known to block video in the more recent versions of OS X and Safari. I asked to tell you to disable it or uninstall it, not to install it. I suggest uninstalling it.
-To clear things - Safari > Clear History... > Clear: all history
-I only suggested other browsers as a test, to see if the issue happens with them.
-Are there any Safari Extensions installed other than the adblocker and ClickToFlash?

C

Reaction score
I've uninstalled that now, the only other extensions I've got are - Add to Amazon, My eBay Manager and Translate. I'd like to keep the Amazon one but don't mind uninstalling the other 2 if you think its advisable

Ask a Question