No network selected.

Reaction score
Good morning guys,
I hope you can help me as I'm running out of options.

I've got a G4 running 10.4.9 with Airport express for my iTunes which I can no longer get access to.

It shows that airport is on but not selected (it used to be automatic) and I can't select it by any combination of usernames/passwords from the dropdown menu.

In the past there were a couple of occasions where when Airport was turned on the same thing happened but it always came back on within a few minutes. This time it seems to be unable to find my network at all.

I don't remember what I did when I initially set Express up and I'm at a loss as to what to do now.

Can anyone suggest what went wrong?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

if you have an ethernet cable plug it into your Mac and the express then you should/can be able to reset the express to how you want. Open the Airport Admin Software to reconfigure it.

If you don't have an ethernet cable let us know...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Using the cable from my modem to make the connection only to find that after re-scanning my network isn't showing up on the list.

Airport is definitely on.

Do I need to go right back to the beginning and re-insert the card?

Reaction score
Reading some advice that this forum gave to another post. Is re-setting Airport Express an option or do I need to find why my network isn't showing up first?

Frustrated, that's me.

Reaction score
Plugging in the network cable directly to the Airport Express unit doesn't do anything that I can see. My Mac doesn't see it as a new piece of hardware is that's what is supposed to happen.

Any suggestions greatly accepted.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

sorry I wasn't to clear before...

Plug in the Express via ethernet then open the "AirPort Admin Utility" software, it's in your Applications-->Utilities folder ?

Does your Express come up ? If so you can make any changes you need.

If it doesn't come up let us know.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric, thanks for the help so far, I really apreciate it.

Express plugged in, Airport Admin Utility opened but no sign of the unit. Tried re-scan with no success.

Express is showing constant green light.

Still unable to access my network even though status check shows airport is on but network not selected.

Hope all this means something to you Ric, my Mac is in your hands.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

try reseting the Express. Here are the instructions.

If there is any bit you are not sure of let us know and we'll guide you through it.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Okay, tried the reset options, soft didn't work so tried the other two in turn. None of them caused Express to show up in the Admin Utility list even after re-scan. Tried with and without the network cable attached, just to be sure.

In Sys Prefs under the Airport selecter button (next to TCP/IP) my network is listed under "network name" with "security" listed as WPA Personal. I don't remember what I originally selected as I followed the setup recomendations.

Does this look correct?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

if the hard reset or factory reset was successful it would not be showing up as a WPA configured so that is probably a neighbours network.

Go to Applications-->Utilities-->AirPort Setup Assistant and see if that works...

Let us know...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
No network. Old or new, Ric.

Is this the part where I use rude words under my breath?

Could the Express unit be faulty?

Ric

Reaction score
...yes !

How old is it ? Is it still under warranty ?

What does it appear to be doing the Factory reset ? What happens ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Unit is about 18 months old, maybe a bit more.

During reset and a slow count to 10 secs, light remains green throughout.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Is it this one you have tried ?

How to perform a factory default reset

Follow these steps:

1. Unplug the AirPort Express from the power outlet.
2. Press and hold the reset button.
3. Plug AirPort Express back into an AC outlet (still holding the button).
4. Continue holding the button until you see the light flash green four times, which should happen after a few seconds.
5. Release the button.

No joy ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
No joy, Ric. No network detected. Guess this may mean a new unit.

Can you explain in simple terms why my network doesn't show up. I thought it was separate from the Express unit and it was a case of the unit not connecting because it couldn't find the network.

Are you saying that if the unit was working properly then the network would be visible?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

If the 'unit' was working properly then it would show up in the Airport Admin Utility...if it is also plugged in via ethernet.

This is the default way of configuring it.

I have an Express unit but it's a bit late for me to do a Factory reset on it now, to try and explain further what you should see. Wifey uses it for iTunes.

As for explaining in simple terms...somethings not working.

It's very hard to diagnose the fault like this... ;-)

When you say 'no network detected' is this from Airport Admin App ? Is it plugged in via ethernet ?

Have you changed TCP/IP to DHCP as per the Apple page above ?

regards

Ric

PS: I shall have to pick this up tomorrow, sleep calls !

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help so far Ric and I do see how difficult it can be to try to explain all this to someone who doesn't know all the workings of a computer but you've made sense to me so far.

Just to update you. The unit was plugged in via ethernet, neither the Admin Utility nor Setup Assistant can see my network and DHCP is selected.

Sleep well and I'll hopefully login from work tomorrow.

Ask a Question