Network Diagnostics app

Reaction score
Apple's Network Diagnostics was supposed to be an application that helped you determine the health of your network. It showed the status of: Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Settings, Network Settings, ISP, Internet, and Server. Can someone explain the difference between Wi-Fi Settings and Network Settings? Thank you.

Reaction score
Although this is "geared" towards Comcast/Xfinity, the explanation is good:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/what-is-wifi

As an example, I set up an in-house Network in our residence, via my late 2012 Mac Mini (using the Network System Preference). Part of that setup depends upon my Internet Service Provider (Comcast in our case), and "indirectly" with the internet-related equipment I have (an Arris Telephony Modem, and a Netgear Router).

Having that setup, along with the "associated" WiFi configuration, I can connect to the internet "wirelessly" with my MacBook Air, via the WiFi access, from any place within out residence. Also, if a guest wants to connect to my Network (and thus the internet) with their laptop, that is possible. Also, we can get to the internet (via the in-house Network) with our Samsung 65" Smart TV, and thus can use apps such as YouTube, Netflix, etc. for TV viewing. Also, that TV has a browser also, and thus I can get onto the internet via that browser (but it's rather "clumsy).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Although this is "geared" towards Comcast/Xfinity, the explanation is good:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/what-is-wifi

As an example, I set up an in-house Network in our residence, via my late 2012 Mac Mini (using the Network System Preference). Part of that setup depends upon my Internet Service Provider (Comcast in our case), and "indirectly" with the internet-related equipment I have (an Arris Telephony Modem, and a Netgear Router).

Having that setup, along with the "associated" WiFi configuration, I can connect to the internet "wirelessly" with my MacBook Air, via the WiFi access, from any place within out residence. Also, if a guest wants to connect to my Network (and thus the internet) with their laptop, that is possible. Also, we can get to the internet (via the in-house Network) with our Samsung 65" Smart TV, and thus can use apps such as YouTube, Netflix, etc. for TV viewing. Also, that TV has a browser also, and thus I can get onto the internet via that browser (but it's rather "clumsy).
Thank you.

Ask a Question