Windows/Mac network ails.

Reaction score
i havnt been able to find any guidance on this issue online anywhere, perhaps im not wording my searches accurately but here is the issue im having..

having been forced to turn my mac mini back from windows 10 to Mac OS due to windows failing to update/install on all fronts (another long saga that causes no end of frustration),
i decided to persevere with Mac OS again, i have some knowledge of networking my windows PC and the MacMini but the issue im having is with networks reconnecting after reboots on either machine.
i have two external storage drives attached to the mac which i have shared over the network, i move files from the pc to those drives. but after a reboot those drives and the mac are no longer discovered by the PC, after a bit of random messing around with the mac, usually a reconnect to the network does it, the pc will then find the mac, but then i ALWAYS have to remap the drives to make them accessible again as previous mapping no longer connects.
both have static IPs.
basically i want to know if this is a standard and or accepted issue or is there something im missing that could automate reconnection?
because every search i do just brings up info on how to network them in the first place but no mention of getting them to connect themselves like say, 2 computers running windows do (if only i could get windows back on the mac).

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model Mac mini?
-Which version of OS X?
-What brands/models are the drives?
-How are the two drives setup on the network? To which computer are they connected?

C

Reaction score
mini is late 2014, im not sure what more info there is specifically.
osx yosemite
2 seagate drives
both connected to the mac and shared via it across the network and accessed by the pc.

replying in hopes of furthering a discussion on this for others,
though i did manage to get windows 10 installed eventually and solve all network issues by having them both running windows.

side note: updated to high sierra and managed to get latest windows 10 installed via bootcamp. only latest updates of both OS' worked. yosemite failed every time.

Ask a Question