New slowdown issue

Reaction score
I recently began getting one of those rotating colorful circles that run for about 15 seconds when i try to open a new program or some other action. Ultimately I get where i want to be, but this delay is frustrating. Any idea how I can get red of the spinning, colorful wheel and the accompanying delay?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Do you have any third-party apps like MacKeeper or CleanMyMac installed?
-Do you have any anti-virus software installed/running?
-Does it happen mostly in Safari or another browser?
-Opening which apps causes it repeatedly?
-How much free space is left on your hard drive?

If you give us a little more information, we should be able to narrow it down.

C

Reaction score
In addition to what Cory mentioned, are you making any backups to an external device? And, have you been performing any disk cleanup/maintenance at all (preferably on a periodic basis)?

Reaction score
Cory, I appreciate the reply and the probing questions. I think the questions may be the key to fixing this, though I don't know that yet. Thanks to you, too, Honestone.
My answers:
Model: iMac (27-inch, late 2013); Processor 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5
OX Version: El Capitan; 10.11.1
3rd party: Yes, I have CleanMyMac3 installed
Virus: No anti-virus software
Browser: Firefox (I seldom use Safari)
Which Apps: I haven't noted this info. It frequently happens when, for instance, opening a Recent file in MS Word. Many of the occurrences are while using an app, not in opening it.
Hard Drive: Capacity: 999 GB; Available: 773 GB
Added question: the only backups to an external device are made by Apple Time Machine; stored on a Seagate GoFlex HD

Thank you for your effort to get at this problem.

rocky63

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

First thing I would try would be to uninstall CleanMyMac 3. It has been known to cause issues like you are experiencing. Did you purchase it, or is it a trial?

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...

-What version of Microsoft Office?
-Is Firefox up to date?
-Do you have FileVault enabled?
-Do you have more than one user on the Mac? If so, does it happen in that user as well?

We should be able to narrow it down.

C

Reaction score
The latest version of Office 2011 is 14.5.9. You can get it from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50361

Also, there is a later version of El Capitan, V10.11.2. You can get the Combo Updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1850?locale=en_US

Additionally, I use Google Chrome on both of my Macs, and it is definitely faster than Firefox (I have that also).

But, let's see the answers to Cory's questions. Also, you did not answer one of my original questions: Have you been performing any disk cleanup/maintenance at all (preferably on a periodic basis)?

Even with answers to all these questions, what you could then do is 1) download and install the excellent Freeware program Onyx, so that you can repair permissions (and maybe run its' other useful tasks), and 2) boot into the Recovery HD partition, so that you can Verify and Repair your internal drive, both at the Volume and Partition levels.

Ask a Question