VERY SERIOUS slowdown from iMac to Canon printers.

Reaction score
Currently on OS X 10.11.6, iMac 27" mid-2011, but from mid-2015 have experienced slower and slower transfer of data to, and the required printing on both of my Canon printers, MP640 (A4), and iX4000 (A3), since up dating their respective firmware.
I have sought advice from Canon, but response there was none.
Any suggestions (like how can I trace and delete the new firmware??? if relevant) from the Mac end will be TOTALLY appreciated.
In anticipation and hope, many thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

-Did you mean printer drivers instead of firmware? I don't know of any firmware updates available for those printers.
-How did you update the printer drivers - via Apple's Software Update in the App Store or by downloading fro the Canon website? The preferred method is via Apple's Software Update, as Canon works with Apple by supplying their drivers for updating through that mechanism.
-Are you printing via Wi-Fi or USB?
-Are you using any form of printer sharing on either Mac?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory & thanks so much for your speedy response.
From my (now APPALLING) memory I believe that I used https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/in...pdate+for+Canon+iX4000&searchid=1473011989345 following info elsewhere which advised to check for firmware updates, but whatever I did it was from the Canon website.
Print to MP640 via WiFi, but to iX4000 via USB
To the best of my knowledge, I am not using sharing on either printer, but how can I check?
Please forgive my non-techie lack of knowledge, my main use of iMac being graphics and report writing. Equally, I am now being called to table, so will be closing down until tomorrow morning, but if you can offer any advice, it will be the first thing I look for then.
All the best ... Mac

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

-The link you gave doesn't show any available firmware updates for your iX4000 printer.
-You can check on printer sharing by going to  > System Preferences... > Sharing and seeing if Printer Sharing is checked.
-You can check which version of the printer driver your Macs have installed by going to  > System Preferences... > Printers & Scanners. Double-click the printer in the list on the left, then click the Settings icon. A window will open which will list Driver Name and Driver Version.
-Depending on which Canon printer selected, and which Canon software is installed, there may be more information available if you click Utility (if available) dnd open it. Some printer manufacturers (HP for example) also include a utility that may be available in the Applications folder, which is either an app, or a weblink that will open a browser window with more information/controls for your printer.
-Did anything else change to cause the sudden slowness?
-Have you tried powering off the printer, restarting the Mac, then powering on the printer?
-Sometimes deleting the printer altogether fro the Printers & Scanners preference pane and re-adding it can clear up slowness. Also, performing a printing system reset and then re-adding printers can help.

Let me know what you find.

C

Ask a Question