Everything Stays On Dock After MoJave

Reaction score
after the mojave install every application i open stays on the dock after its closed. i never had it like that before and never saw a setting, is there a way to stop everything from being on there

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the same thing, although most of my dock "space" had already been filled with a number of icons for applications. When I did launch a different one, an icon would appear between the last one and the Trash, and from what I remember, there was only room for about 3 of these "extra" ones. From what I remember, they did go away after I shut down and/or restarted my machine. I'll have to test it again and see what happens, as to when they go away.

Actually the same thing happens with High Sierra, although such "extra" ones go away when I quit such an application. For example, right now there is an "extra" icon for Google Chrome between my last "permanent" one and the Trash. When I just launched Thunderbird to check my EMail, the icon for it appeared to the right of the one for Chrome, but upon quitting Thunderbird, it went away.

Reaction score
Thanks Cory for that.

I wonder, though, that if those "temporary" Dock icons go away when one shuts down or restarts their mac. I thought that was the case. I will test it.

Reaction score
OK, I got the answer. I am entering this post after restarting my Mac Mini from my external Samsung 860 EVO SSD with the latest version of Mojave, OS 10.14.1. First, I was incorrect, as the applications I had previously used remained in the Dock. Secondly, following the link provided by Cory, that worked. That is, de-selecting the option for "Show recent applications in the Dock" works like it does in High Sierra. That is, launching an application not already in your Doc, then quitting it, the icon goes away (I just tried it with Thunderbird, and it works).

Reaction score
Hello? Anybody home? Did it work for you? Cory, I, and others would like to know. Plus, it is courteous to reply.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
honestone,

You only gave him 6 minutes to reply. ;)

Yes, it is courteous to reply, and his response implied that it did work. He may not be online again for a while since it seems to have worked.

C

Reaction score
Understand, although he was on line when I made that "request" post. In re-reading his initial reply, one could "infer" that the suggestion in the link you provided worked.

If you notice, I went out of my way to determine if it worked or not (along with correcting something I said earlier). There are just too many instances where "we" do not get any feedback at all, even though we go out of our way to provide assistance. For myself, I really make an effort to be a s thorough as possible, and even "try to explain things like someone is s 6 year old" (famous lime used by Denzel Washington in the excellent movie "Philadelphia"). And that characterization is NOT meant to be detrimental nor "degrading". On the contrary, even I need to have some things explained to me "like I am a 6 year old" (I am going through exactly that right now in my research about "cutting the cord", "streaming services", Internet speed (ethernet connection versus WiFi, etc.).

It just would be helpful and courteous for folks to reply, and let us know. If not, then someone like me could "shy" away from helping someone, even if i know the definitive answer. Never really want to do that, but to quote a similar, "somewhat" applicable "saying": "Attitude reflects leadership".

Ask a Question