Search In Finder Doesnt Get Everything

Reaction score
my search doesnt work rite on my finder window anymore. ill look up something i know theres 5 or 6 of but its not searching the whole computer and my external like it always does. the stuff at the top of the window does nothing

Search: This Mac

what can be any different

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
In Spotlight you can filter out files for example you need to search for an image then in Spotlight do the search.

Choose "Show All In Finder".

Click the + in the far right of the Finder window.

In the far left above the search results a new menu appears … "Kind" is "Any".

In the "Any" drop-down menu select the file type you are searching for.

This will filter the results.
If you aren't satisfied with Spotlight i've heard great stuff about EasyFInd (freebie)

Reaction score
mac has a search i was using days ago on this computer for years that worked just fine and found all my files in the finder window. i want to use that

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
mac has a search i was using days ago on this computer for years that worked just fine and found all my files in the finder window. i want to use that

That would be Spotlight
  1. Go to the Privacy tab in the Spotlight system preferences
  2. Click the Plus button
  3. Press Shift-Command-C to reveal your hard drives (if they are not available otherwise)
  4. Hold the Command key and click your various drives to add them to your selection
  5. Click the “Choose” button to add them to the Privacy list
  6. Click the drives you just added & click the minus button.
The system will re-create the Spotlight index on these drives & hopefully this will resolve your issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
that did take care of it and im getting everything

i have alot of folders with dates on the end and they all are the same

3/16/2015 with a slash, but now the slashes are replaced with colons, why is that

sorry for any misunderstanding or attitude i may have had. ive been coming on mac help forums, other ones, for years and someones always trying to get me to do something different or replace the way i have always done things and are accustomed to

i was unaware that spotlight is actually the whole search system, i never use it

i do alot of searches in my finder, not that important of stuff, i have a celeb pic forum and i name each folder specifically what the event is named or whatever else. i search to see if i already have it, i know what it would be named already and copy the same info from one to a new celebs folder ive just downloaded

but i get alot of image files for search results, either it has the name on the file or they are in one of the folders with that search term

is there any way, thru terminal or another way to get the finder to only return folders when i search

there can be thousands of just pics that come up but im only looking for folders

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Spawn_Dooley said:
In Spotlight you can filter out files for example you need to search for an image then in Spotlight do the search.

Choose "Show All In Finder".

Click the + in the far right of the Finder window.

In the far left above the search results a new menu appears … "Kind" is "Any".

In the "Any" drop-down menu select the file type you are searching for.

This will filter the results.

Just use the above method.

Reaction score
thanks i had guys on one fmac forum that told me i was crazy and they never even mentioned that

Ask a Question