Can't avoid Bing as search engine

Reaction score
Machine is iMac late 2012 running High Sierra 10.12.5. Usually use Chrome browser but am unable to search with Google search engine. Unable to set Google as default. Am stuck with Bing. I've deleted Chrome.app but am having the same problem with Safari. Is there a way to restore Chrome browser and utilize Google as the search engine?

Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Reaction score
For Safari, you should be able to set Google as the default in the Search tab of Safari Preferences.

Reaction score
I use Google Chrome, and have never had this issue. But here are some things you can do:

1. Download and run the excellent adware/malware program Malwarebytes, available from here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

It will do a "decent" job of finding adware/malware.

2. If you still have Google Chrome installed, download the excellent free program AppCleaner, available from here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

It does an excellent job of finding most (maybe all?) files/folders, etc. associated with an app one wants to remove/delete (and of course the app itself).

For any left over "stuff", you can do a search of your drive. In your case, you could use "Bing" as the search term, and then Google Chrome. Spotlight is OK for such a task, but I prefer the excellent free program EasyFind, available from here:

https://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html

3. Make sure you are using the latest version of Google Chrome. And after you install it and select Preferences, you should see the setting for "Search Engine". Mine says "Google", but there is a "selector/down arrow" next to it, and when one clicks on the arrow, a choice of 5 Search Engines to choose from appears (two of them being Google and Bing).

Reaction score
I use Google Chrome, and have never had this issue. But here are some things you can do:

1. Download and run the excellent adware/malware program Malwarebytes, available from here:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

It will do a "decent" job of finding adware/malware.

2. If you still have Google Chrome installed, download the excellent free program AppCleaner, available from here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

It does an excellent job of finding most (maybe all?) files/folders, etc. associated with an app one wants to remove/delete (and of course the app itself).

For any left over "stuff", you can do a search of your drive. In your case, you could use "Bing" as the search term, and then Google Chrome. Spotlight is OK for such a task, but I prefer the excellent free program EasyFind, available from here:

https://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html

3. Make sure you are using the latest version of Google Chrome. And after you install it and select Preferences, you should see the setting for "Search Engine". Mine says "Google", but there is a "selector/down arrow" next to it, and when one clicks on the arrow, a choice of 5 Search Engines to choose from appears (two of them being Google and Bing).

Reaction score
Ran MalewareBytes and it didn't find any threats. Just re-installed Chrome browser. In preferences, chumsearch.com is listed as the search engine used in the address bar. I don't have an option to change the default search engine. Below is a screen shot it illustrate my issue.
Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 8.22.38 PM.png

Reaction score
That's an image of the "second" entry in the Search Engine setting. I meant the first one:

upload_2018-7-4_18-49-35.png

That is what it says for me. Note the down arrow to the right where it says Google. What does yours say?

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm confused. How can I get to the "first one"? I thought the screen shot was the first screen for Managing search engines...

Reaction score
As I mentioned, after you launch Google Chrome, and then select "Preferences" from the menu heading "Chrome" (just to the right of the black Apple icon, located in the upper left hand corner), you'll see the initial page for various settings: People, Appearance, Search Engine, Default Browser, and On Startup. For the Search Engine piece, it is the image I posted above. On the first line under the heading, it says "Search engine used in the address bar", and to the right is the "default" Search Engine. Logically, it should be Google, and it has always been that for me.

Reaction score
Wish I could say the same as you. Fact is that in Preferences, address bar... Under Search Engine, chumsearch.com is listed and is greyed out. There is no option to change this setting.

Reaction score
Something "rogue" is going on with your machine. So, here are some more things you can do:

1. As mentioned above, use AppCleaner to remove Google Chrome, along with as many "pieces" it finds.

2. Next, do a search of your Mac for chumsearch, and also Chrome after using AppCleaner.

3. Download, install, and run the excellent virus program ClamXAv, available from here:

https://www.clamxav.com/

It does a more thorough job than Malwarebytes. When you first launch it, make sure to first download the latest Virus Definitions. Then, when it offers you various "levels" to do the scan, it might be best if you select the "highest" level on the list, ie, most likely your entire internal drive. That will take some time, but it would be the best (plus it might find other "nefarious" stuff).

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

There are a few of these search engine malware infections going around. Normally, they are "installed" by a fake Adobe Flash or other installer, or as part of another installer that has been hijacked to include it.

One way to try and remove it is to reset Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and other browsers back to the defaults. For Chrome, do the following:

1. In Chrome, click the three vertical dots in the upper right-hand of the browser window
2. Click Settings - second from the bottom above Help
3. Scroll to the bottom of the settings window and click the word Advanced
4. Scroll all the way to the bottom and click Restore settings to their original default
5. In the window that appears, click the blue RESET SETTINGS button

***NOTE: Make sure you are aware of the warning in that window: "This will reset your startup page, new tab page, search engine, and pinned tabs. It will also disable all extensions and clear temporary data like cookies. Your bookmarks, history and saved passwords will not be cleared." You can click the blue Learn more to read more about what it will do.

Once that is done, quit Chrome, then relaunch it. See if it removes www.chumsearch.com from the Default search engines list.

Let us know how that goes,

C

Reaction score
Man, Cory, things are getting more and more nefarious! I no longer have Flash installed, and my browsing experiences have not suffered. Also, and as I have stated many times before, it is best to get an application and any updates direct from the company's/developer's site.

While it looks like resetting Chrome should do the trick, the concern I would have is the part of the warning that states "Your bookmarks, history and saved passwords will not be cleared.". Not sure if anything nefarious would remain and/or "connected" to any of those, especially History and Bookmarks. Maybe an additional step would be to clear History.

Reaction score
OK! Success. Appcleaner & Clamxav appear to have resolved my issues and for that I wish to thank you for your kind help and assistance. (Never would have gotten there without your effort in my behalf. Many, many thanks.

Reaction score
OK! Success. Appcleaner & Clamxav appear to have resolved my issues and for that I wish to thank you for your kind help and assistance. (Never would have gotten there without your effort in my behalf. Many, many thanks.

Wonderful! Glad my suggestions resolved your issue. I actually purchased ClamXAV a couple of months ago, after using it in demo mode for a number of months. Definitely a wise investment! And for a free program, AppCleaner is great!

Ask a Question