VERY STRANGE wi-fi connectivity issue!

Reaction score
I'm experiencing an issue where my MBP keeps getting kicked off my home wi-fi network. Here's what I've noticed: While actively using my computer, there is no problem, and it stays on the network. However, sometimes I'm attempting to complete large downloads during the night, while I sleep. For about the past week now, I'll leave my computer connected, and in awake state, before I go to bed. When I wake in the mornings and come check my download progress, I'll notice that my laptop has disconnected from the wi-fi network. I am not sure what's causing this, as all other devices in my home stay connected. I'm also pretty sure I have everything set correctly: Energy Saver Preferences are set so that my hard disk never goes to sleep. The only thing I do, is put my display to sleep when not using it for a long period of time. Network settings are also set so that network is "auto-joined."

Gear: MBP 15 inch 2017, running latest version of OSX Mojave

Any ideas or advice for this dilemma?

Last edited:
Reaction score
For my ISP (Xfinity), I know they do updates on our "setup". We currently have TV, Internet, and Landline phone services from them, and for the TV, when they do such updates (usually about 2 to 2:30 AM), the TV (multiple in our case) is temporarily "off line", ie, cannot watch anything. My wife is sometimes up watching TV at that time. However, for the TV in her bedroom, about a month ago, I got rid of the Comcast box, and installed a Roku Streaming device. She mainly watches Korean videos on YouTube, and that process seems to work fine now, even when XFinity does there "resets".

I am not 100% sure such an "event" would cause issues if I were trying to download something at that time. YOu might want to check with your ISP.

Also, has this ever happened when you do such downloads during the day, ie, you are going to be away from your machine say for an afternoon, and you initiate such a download then?

Ask a Question