Bus Speed slowdown?

Reaction score
I edit video with my Mac (G5 dual). I have a Decklink video card (HD Pro) that is acting up. The symptoms indicate that the bus has slowed down to below 100MHz. Both cards I have plugged in (to slot 1- the Decklink, and slot 3- a Sonnett SATA Host Controller card), are 133MHz cards. Therefore, neither should be slowing f=down the bus (PCIx). I am stumped. Is it possible for the bus to slow down, due to some motherboard problem? The system works fine, and the Decklink card works fine in Standard Def (it needs the faster bus for HiDef).

Thanks in advance,
William

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there William and welcome !

I presume that this setup was working well before ?

Can you think of anything that has precedded the slowdown ? A software update or the like ?

I'll dig out some tech manuals in a bit and have a check for you.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

can you give us the exact Model number of your Mac ?

Go to the Apple Menu-->About this Mac-->Click the More info button...

Then copy and Paste the first few lines into a post on here...

eg

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,7
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)

Depending on which model you have...on some only one of the slots may be running at 133mhz the rest are running at 100mhz...

This Apple doc has more info...slot 4 is 133mhz

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Yes it was working fine before. The problem seems to have appeared after I incorrectly installed new Blackmagic drivers (I did not uninstall current drivers prior). Upon discovering this problem, I then uninstalled and re-installed Blackmagic drivers- problem persisted. HAve done uninstall and reinstall a couple times since.

I have checked my hardware- I DO have 100MHz/133MHz slots. Blackmagic card is in Slot 4 (top- 133MHz), and the Sonnet eSATA is in slot 2 (100MHz). Problem persists with all other cards (except Blackmagic) and peripherals removed. I have also zapped PRAM, removed motherboard battery and pressed CUDA switch, done any and all SW maintenance I know of- with no change.

Thanks for your help.
William

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

amongst all the things you have tried...have you repaired permissions ?

From what you have tried already...If you 'are' convinced that it happened on loading the Black magic drivers and you can't seem to get rid of them...you may be best doing a complete reinstall..it may be quicker in the long run.

I've had a look through the Black magic manual and can't see anything untoward...are you doing a restart in between uninstalling and reinstalling ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Yes, I have repaired permissions. Do you mean a complete reinstall of the OS? I'm wondering how I would best do that... I upgraded from 10.3.8 to Tiger.

Yes, I did erboot in between uninstalling then re-installing the drivers. I do think the problem appeared when I installed the new driver set without uninstalling the existing drivers- and to compound things, I think that when I installed the "new" drivers, I had already installed the same version previously (several weeks earlier- and had forgotten I'd done so- I neglected to check what version I was "upgrading" from). In other words, I double installed the same set of drivers. I'm pretty sure it was after that "over-install" that the problem began. Oops. I have tried uninstalling twice in a row (magical thinking might work once in awhile?), but it didn't make any difference.

Where are drivers installed? Is there a way to reveal them in a folder and manually delete them? Are there prefs folders somewhere that could be changed or removed?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

can you give me the URL to the page with the drivers on...

Then I'll have a look to see if I can work out where the 'Drivers' are put...

You could have a look through your 'console' log and 'system' log to see if it gives any clues (if you're not sure feel free to email them and I'll take a look (e-mail address removed))

The logs are in here:

goto001.jpg

goto002.jpg

Just double click on them to read them.

As for the complete install---we can worry about that later !

As for what you did...over installing the drivers...there's no reason why it shouldn't of worked. The only thing that I can think of is that the uninstaller isn't doing what it's supposed to !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Sorry hadn't had my morning caffeine !

You could also have a look at the installer logs in the same location they may give a clue as to where the drivers were installed...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question