New Router, No airtunes!

Reaction score
Hello,

I had my airport express working fine after a super easy set up on my macbook with an old wireless router. We recently got a new wireless router and now my airport will only flash amber.

i tried plugging it into the router and it showed up in the airport setup program on my macbook. It then went through the setup again fine, but at the point of resetting the setup can no longer find the airport. I did a reset of every sort, tried the setup again and it still wont find it after the airport resets.

I should have the latest version of the program, although i tried reusing the cd that came with it and it wont work with my upgrade to leopard. Any suggestions (for someone with little router/ip address/computer jargon, etc understanding ha)

Thanks so much!

Reaction score
sure! thanks for the reply so far.

we switched to a siemens "Gigaset Se567" router that we got for free from telus. it provides the wireless for the house and seems to work fine, just can't get the airport to find it.

sorry, but i'm not sure what else you would like me to describe... ask me some questions and i'll get the answers back to you asap.

karazelle

Reaction score
Ah, Airport is a bit vague. Apple calls all wifi "Airport" so you have an "Airport" card in your Mac to connect to a wireless router from any manufacturer.

An "Airport base station" is basically a wireless router manufactured by Apple.

So, your Mac cannot connect to the Gigaset? Or to the Apple router?

Reaction score
ahhh i see the confusion, my apologies.

my macbook can connect to the gigaset fine, as the internet has been working great.

my macbook can also see the apple base station when it is WIRE connected directly to the router, however as soon as i go through the setup at the restart stage it dissapears. it also does not appear in the itunes menu at any point (the only real reason i want to use it, to run the macbook itunes through the home stereo without having to have the computer right beside the stereo)

and everything was working fine with the old router, it just can't seem to reconfigure itself to recognize the new one.

karazelle

Reaction score
I would check a couple things...

Can OTHER computers see the Airport wirelessly? PCs, other Macs etc? Try to bring it to a friend or collegue and see if they get it up on their list at all? The Airport routers should also handle PC clients, so it should show up...

Sometimes things happen coindidentally, like your Airport could have died the day you got the Gigaset or due to a mosqito biting a man in Peru. I mean, things happen.

Technically getting one router should have zero implications for other routers. Theoretical issues is stuff like the Mac remember the old airport, and you can sort that by going to System Prefs->Network and choose the Airport router network name and remove the network it had on the list.
You should also try a reset of the Airport router using the paperclip in small arrow button/indentation on the Airport to reset it (hold 10 secs, don't try to pierce the router though).

Ask a Question