Network ID?

Reaction score
When I open up a link to another computer on my network, the icon is labelled with ... my login name. Since my login name is the same on all of my network computers, this isn't really very handy. When I see several computer icons for different computers on my desktop, I can't tell which is which. They all have the same label. Is there some easy way to assess or display that info? No, don't tell me to have different login names on all of my computers.

Yeah, I guess I could just Get Info on that icon, and see what the smb connection is. That's pretty inelegant.

Reaction score
You could change the icons to give a unique one for each.

I do this with the external disks on my desktop, each has an icon that reflects its content. i.e a camera icon for my Photo's drive an HTML5 icon for my web page files.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I cannot change the icons. Finder won't let me. It will let me change the names of files and folders and external disks, but not network connection icons. In Get Info, the "Name & Extension" entry for that network icon is dimmed. If I did manage to change them, would those new names be preserved the next time I connected to those machines?

We're talking about icons that look like this
. Files, folders and disks have different icons. Now, these things are labelled "Volume", as are disks, but these guys are different.

Reaction score
Well, doesn't work in 10.11. I know how to change icon labels, and this guy isn't changing. On everything else, when you try to change the label, the dark blue label background goes to light blue. It does not do so for this one.

Ask a Question