My Macbook Pro Keyboard is completely unresponsive

Reaction score
I have an early 2015 Macbook Pro and i recently replaced the topcase because the old keyboard would not work and shift key was stuck and constantly registering as being held down. I installed the new top case and the new keyboard will light up but when I type nothing is happening what can I do to fix this?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I assume you mean a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)? The 15" model is a Mid 2015. Either way, that is a very involved repair as you found out, and not a user-serviceable part. It is not recommended that folks attempt this type of involved repair, as it is very easy to damage internal components when performing that repair, without proper training.

That said, it sounds like either the keyboard cable connector isn't seated properly (which can be tricky), it's a DOA part, or something was damaged during the repair. The keyboard backlight cable is separate from the keyboard connector cable.

I would double-check the keyboard connector cable to make sure it is seated fully and has the piece of anti-static tape to hold it in place. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then you may have a bad part or have damaged the connector.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I assume you mean a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)? The 15" model is a Mid 2015. Either way, that is a very involved repair as you found out, and not a user-serviceable part. It is not recommended that folks attempt this type of involved repair, as it is very easy to damage internal components when performing that repair, without proper training.

That said, it sounds like either the keyboard cable connector isn't seated properly (which can be tricky), it's a DOA part, or something was damaged during the repair. The keyboard backlight cable is separate from the keyboard connector cable.

I would double-check the keyboard connector cable to make sure it is seated fully and has the piece of anti-static tape to hold it in place. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then you may have a bad part or have damaged the connector.

Hope that helps,

C
Hi thanks for the response and yes i have the a1502 retina 2015 macbook pro and which cable exactly connects the keyboard to the motherboard?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It would have to connect with one of the connector cables, since you can replace the logic board separately from the upper case. Not totally sure which connector it is though...I would guess it may be the same as the keyboard cable, since the keyboard is integrated into the upper case.

C

Ask a Question