Macbook pro touch pad and keyboard

Reaction score
The touchpad and keyboard dont work on my touchpad pro. If I boot the macbook into linux then the built in touchpad and keyboard work. They just wont work when booted into mac os.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Need more information:

1. What exact Mac OS are you running?

2. What exact MacBook Pro model do you have?

3. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective?

4. This one is critical: are you making backups to an external device?

5. How do you have the touchpad and keyboard configured within the Keyboard and Touchpad System Preferences?

Reaction score
Need more information:

1. What exact Mac OS are you running?

2. What exact MacBook Pro model do you have?

3. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective?

4. This one is critical: are you making backups to an external device?

5. How do you have the touchpad and keyboard configured within the Keyboard and Touchpad System Preferences?

1. High Sierra 10.13
2. Mode a1502 EMC 2835
3. Yes
4. I have not made a backup yet.
5. The system preferences cannot identify the keyboard type, but it wants me to press some keys so that it can attempt to identify it. Unfortunately, keypresses don't register. The mouse preferences dont offer me anything useful. Just tracking speed, double click speed, etc..

Reaction score
OK, a couple of things:

1. First, I believe this is your Mac model:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...5-2.9-13-early-2015-retina-display-specs.html

Correct?

2. Secondly, here is my Mac laptop model:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...book-air-core-i5-1.8-13-early-2015-specs.html

3. Third, for my laptop machine:

A. I am using the latest version of High Sierra, OS 10.13.2 (along with the recent patch for the Meltdown and Spectre Intel Chip flaws).

B. I am using a Logitech m325 mouse.

C. The keyboard, trackpad, and mouse are recognized. I actually do not use the Trackpad, but I am looking at its System preference, and there are a few options available to configure it. I also have the same options as you for configuring my mouse (if the Logitech Control Center software worked with my mouse, I would have quite a lot more options available. But I am fine). The keyboard "appears" to be recognized, and it works fine with the apps I use.

D. For my late 2012 Mac Mini, again running the latest version of High Sierra, and using a Logitech m525 mouse, things are similar. I use an Apple Extended Wired USB keyboard with it, and again it seems to be "recognized". Same with the m525 mouse.

Not sure why you are having issues. In just about all instances, my keyboards, mice, and trackpads work fine, no matter which Mac OS I install.

You mentioned that when you boot the machine into Linux, things are fine. What "drivers" were installed for Linux? Or are they part of the Linux OS?

Finally, please provide more details regarding your disk cleanup/maintenance/repair tasks, and specifically the software you use to help you with that. Also, do you do any disk cleanup on your own?

Reaction score
OK, a couple of things:

1. First, I believe this is your Mac model:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...5-2.9-13-early-2015-retina-display-specs.html

Correct?

2. Secondly, here is my Mac laptop model:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...book-air-core-i5-1.8-13-early-2015-specs.html

3. Third, for my laptop machine:

A. I am using the latest version of High Sierra, OS 10.13.2 (along with the recent patch for the Meltdown and Spectre Intel Chip flaws).

B. I am using a Logitech m325 mouse.

C. The keyboard, trackpad, and mouse are recognized. I actually do not use the Trackpad, but I am looking at its System preference, and there are a few options available to configure it. I also have the same options as you for configuring my mouse (if the Logitech Control Center software worked with my mouse, I would have quite a lot more options available. But I am fine). The keyboard "appears" to be recognized, and it works fine with the apps I use.

D. For my late 2012 Mac Mini, again running the latest version of High Sierra, and using a Logitech m525 mouse, things are similar. I use an Apple Extended Wired USB keyboard with it, and again it seems to be "recognized". Same with the m525 mouse.

Not sure why you are having issues. In just about all instances, my keyboards, mice, and trackpads work fine, no matter which Mac OS I install.

You mentioned that when you boot the machine into Linux, things are fine. What "drivers" were installed for Linux? Or are they part of the Linux OS?

Finally, please provide more details regarding your disk cleanup/maintenance/repair tasks, and specifically the software you use to help you with that. Also, do you do any disk cleanup on your own?

The link you sent looks like my macbook.

If I plug in an external USB mouse and keyboard they work fine. If I boot into linux the onboard mouse and keyboard work. I didn't install any special drivers, so it must be whatever is built into linux. The onboard Mouse and keyboard do not work when I boot into mac os. I am just looking for suggestions to get them to work.

Reaction score
For the trackpad to "work", that is "inherent" within the OS, for the most part. Similarly, for an "Apple" keyboard (part of the machine, like a laptop, or plugged into a USB port, like on my Mac Mini), once again for the most part, whether they are recognized or not is dependent on the Mac OS. Things that could "interfere" with that are 1) third party products (like my Logitech mice (they work fine)), 2) interfering "software" (maybe a virus?), or 3) a hardware issue. In your case, one would think 1) and 3) are ruled out, given that they work with Linux. Similarly, and almost certain, #2 should not be involved.

What I don't know is if the Linux drivers (yes, most likely built in) are having an effect on the Mac OS. Seems strange that it would, but who knows?

You did not say specifically what exact version of High Sierra you have. Again, the latest one is V10.13.2. If you don't have it, you can download the OS 10.13.2 Combo Updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1944?locale=en_US

For the succeeding patch that "fixes" the Spectre issue, you'll need to get that form the App store.

There are "guarantees" that V10.13.2 will resolve your issue or not. I just know that for me, everything works fine. But my environment is different than yours, as I only use the Mac OS on both of my machines.

Finally, what third party )ie, non-Apple) software are you using "within your Mac OS environment", ie, not including Linux?

Ask a Question