MacBook Pro 15" Retina, after closed Notebook, Keyboard frozen ..

Reaction score
Hello,
if I close the Notebook and open it again, the logon screen appear but keyboard does not respond ...
I have to hold the power on key longer to reboot the notebook.

Is that a known problem ??

Reaction score
What exact MacBook Pro 15" Retina model are you using?

And, what exact Mac OS are you sing?

Finally, are you making any backups at all?

Reaction score
It's OS X 10.11.1 and YES Time Machine is running daily
The Hardware is MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2015, 1TB Flash, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2024MB ....

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Are you closing the lid and opening it within 15 secs or so, or say after an hour or overnight?

When you hold the power key to shut down/restart the Mac, OS X can become corrupted, because it doesn't have a chance to shut down processes that are running. You could try reinstalling El Capitan using the Recovery Partition.

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory,
yes its happend if I close the lid overnight. I see the risk of corruption too, thats why I ask here for a solution.
Is the installation you mentioned a installation from scratch, so that I have have to reinstall all applications ??

//uwe

Reaction score
I suspect Cory will "chime in", but yes, what he is talking about is a fresh installation of OS 10.11.1. But, and I suspect he would tell you the same thing, it is critical that you have a backup to an external device first. Then, the way the process would work is as follows:

1. Boot your machine "to" the Recovery Partition.

2. Use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format your internal drive.

3. Do a fresh installation of OS 10.11.1 from there.

4. Reboot your machine.

5. Use Migration Assistant (contained within the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder to "migrate"/copy all the non-system stuff from the backup you made to the external drive.

One other thing that is very important is if you are using any third party applications, have any of them needed upgrades to work with El Capitan?

Of course, all this assumes it is not a hardware issue.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I would normally, but I would try a reinstall first in this situation, instead of an erase & install.

C

Ask a Question