Music

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a new Macair and am trying to set up all my music, playlists, ratings and genres from my old MacBook Pro. It has bought in the music and genres but no playlists or ratings. Both computers are authorised with iCloud and I've even tried setting it up with the files from the old Mac but all I'm doing is going around in circles. As I have over 7k songs I would definitely prefer not to go through each song again. I thought iCloud would handle all this but, nope . ps I've gone over the link in preferences and it all seems ok but I'm obviously missing something.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Did you perform a migration of your data from the old Mac to the new MBA when you set it up?
-Do you pay for Apple Music?

C

Reaction score
Hello,

-Did you perform a migration of your data from the old Mac to the new MBA when you set it up?
-Do you pay for Apple Music?

C
I wanted to do that but the Migration Assist wouldn't let me select just iTunes and selected media files (and I didn't want to import lots of old useless files and apps) so I brought the iTunes files in via my external hard drive. I have a mix of both my own music(majority) and bought music. The music and the genres have imported perfectly, just not the playlists and ratings. I also ensured the two text files are included in the folder. The actual app wouldn't come across and I presumed that is because iTunes as an app no longer exists, just the Music app. When I did try to bring the app across (by drag and drop by connecting the two computers) it told me I needed to upgrade to the latest version which I already have on the old Mac. I've successfully done this before but this time I'm stumped.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

It should have worked, if you transferred iTunes folder this way:
-iTunes > Preferences... > Files > Keep Media Folder Organized and Copy files to Music Media when adding to library were both checked
-All music files were in the iTunes folder
-You copied the iTunes folder to the External
-You then copied the iTunes folder to the Music folder on the new Mac
-You Option-click the Music app, click Choose Library..., click the iTunes folder, and then click Choose
-It would then update the iTunes Library to the new Music app format, and all songs and playlists should be there

C

Reaction score
The only thing I haven't done there is checked Keep Media Folder Organised. Last time I did that everything got rearranged so I haven't been game to do it again. Please tell me that won't happen again.

Ask a Question